Latest threads in Automotive Technologiesshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Mazda reliability
My past Mazdas have been very reliable. But recent events have changed my opinion of Mazda. I am having to replace an intake manifold at a cost of $1971. That manifold is made of plastic. In the past...
2
2

Keeping my car battery from going dead
Is there a good device that disconnects the car battery when the voltage gets too low? ' For almost 15 years I used Battery Buddy, and it worked great. IIRC the first one lasted 13+ years, and I had...
1
1

Full synthetic oils
I use full synthetic oil (non-name brand) and a Fram filter for synthetic oil. My car has 109K miles. At 7K miles, the oil looked pretty dirty, so I had it changed. How long can I expect that oil to...
8
8

The FBI Is Locating Cars By Spying On Their WiFi
The FBI Is Locating Cars By Spying On Their WiFi This appears to be the first case on record of this happening. For this warrant, the FBI first used a pen register, which gets data from a cellphone...

jump starters
Has anybody had experience with jump starters? How strong do they have ro be? Are they safe to carry around? Best brand? Larry
4
4

94 Acura Integra flooding
Problem started a few months ago. Starts fine when it's cold. When it's warm, turned off for ~15 to 39 minutes and is still warm, it cranks for a long time as if it's flooded and there's a strong...
10
10

Can I jump 12V to the compressor connector?
The air conditioning is blowing just air. Not hot but not cold. I don't think the AC compressor is engaging. But I don't know how to tell for sure. The belt is spinning the AC compressor but I don't...
3
3

Carbon buildup on all valves for 2009 Mazda cx7
After replacing ignition coil and plug for #3 cylinder, my mechanic found heavy carbon buildup on all valves. The car only has 108K miles. He is replacing the fuel injector and egr valve along with...
5
5

Find oil life before the Oil Life Monitor reminder pops up
Is it possible to find out how much oil life is left before the Oil Life Monitor reminder pops up? Or when or at what mileage the OLM was last reset? I can't find the receipt from the shop where I had...
2
2

Local Mechanic's Aligner Machine 'Insists'On Spec Settings
Local Mechanic's Aligner Machine 'Insists'On Spec Settings After a busy winter and the associated pot holes afterward, I decided to have my car's alignment checked at a shop I have used in the past,...
6
6

Steering Rack Boot Replacement (clamp & tools)
Have you ever replaced the steering arm boot on a FWD vehicle? I'm going to replace a Toyota steering arm boot for a friend (yes, I'm aware a mechanic would replace the entire arm - let's not go there...
6
6

2013 Corolla instrument cluster
It only lights up when I have the headlights on, which is annoying. Is this normal or is something broken? One of the little knobs adjusts the brightness, but only with the headlights on.
9
9

getting spots off of speedometer plastic
How do you get little white/grey spots off of clear plastic. Especially when there is no reason they are there! I have my speedometer cluster out so now is the time to clean it. It has a clear plastic...
7
7

2014 dodge caravan power seat.
My respect for the industry is plummeting. First time user of a friends stow n go seats, power seat bumps into something and fails. With it far forward the vehicle is undriveable. Replaced fuse....
6
6

Clock lights up only at night, 2005 Toyota Solara, can't be seen in the daytime
Addressed especially to Clare and to anyone who thinks he's as smart as Clare is. Here is the wiring diagram for this car, 's an odg file, that LibreOffice Draw creates. I think most people have...
7
7