03 Avalon squeel

Bought the car new and it always had what sounds like a belt or alternator squeel, dealer said it was within tolerances so we have lived with it for almost three years and 20,000 miles so it isnt going to blow up but it does sound cheap, it isn't always there and can't say that it it happens when cold or hot. Going to try the dealer once more before the warranty is up next month but any other Avalon owners with a similiar problem.

Reply to
Charlie

Ask them to show you another with same squeel. If they can't, check lemon law in your state. If your complaints started within prescribed time, you may qualify if you meet the law prerequistes. Or look under arbitration. All that should be in manuals supplied with new car. Asking for arbitration will get Toyota's attention.

Reply to
Art

Your model year as well as the Siennas have a persistent high-pitched whine produced by the alternator. They always have and probably always will. Getting arbitration involved will be nothing but a headache for both parties. Just make sure the blet is adjusted properly and turn the radio on.

Reply to
qslim

That is why I told him to listen to another one first. Was there a change in the alternator that year? Japanese made Toyota's are known for long lasting alternators though Avalon is made in US.

Reply to
Art

Yes, but where is the alternator made?

By the way, I have a 2000 Avalon and it has a high-pitched whine, but it varies with road speed (the pitch gets higher as speed increases, with the loudest sound at about 35 mph, at least with my old ears), not engine speed. I took it too the dealer and they said that type of sound is usually the alternator (although that shouldn't vary directly with road speed). Anyway, I had them do a transmission flush (at about 72,000 miles) and when they did a road test, they said the noise was likely from the transmission. They suggested letting the flush do its job and see if that makes a difference, and if not, bring it back and they will do a more thorough inspection. I have a warranty that expires in a few months, so if the transmission needs rebuilding, I want to get it done while the warranty is still effective.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Yup - Same thing here - High pitched whine/squeel. Oddly, left the wife at home one day and voila - blissful silence :-)

Reply to
Dale Webler