'05 Prius: replacing the vanity lamp?

Lowering a sunvisor on the '05 Prius reveals a light fixture embedded in the headliner. The fixture includes an on/off switch and the lens that covers the cartridge-style lamp. I want to sacrifice the lamp and use the cartridge clip as a 12-v source for my visor-mounted radar detector.

Problem: the procedure for gaining access to the lamp is not covered in the owner's manual, nor is the process obvious. Has anyone here conducted the experiment successfully? If so, how?

Brent "Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself." -- A. H. Weiler

Reply to
Brent

Doesn't the owner's manual give instructions on changing the bulb?

Reply to
Ray O

Not that I can find. It discusses only the exterior lamps and fixtures. It does list the specs for all lamps but omits instructions for accessing them. I could try gently prying along the edge of the lens, but it's too early in this Prius's life for me to get adventuresome.

I could run a power card to the 12V outlet below the dashboard, but that's an inelegant solution. The expendable vanity lamp is very tempting... and it has its own switch, the operation of which the manual explains in detail. :-)

Brent

Reply to
Brent