08 Scion XB- Test Drive

After reading a bit about the Scion XB on Edmunds, I realized it's one of the few vehicles made today that I'd consider buying.

My current '01 camry has 139k on the clock and needs an engine seal and a valve cover gasket (other than that all it's needed has been a tail light).

So after I (briefly) test drove the XB, I mentioned the work I needed on my car (I'm NOT trading it no matter what I get) and I said I'd been given a new sienna as a loaner when I had previous work on my car.

(The sienna loaner helped convince me it would not be a good second vehicle for me.) The sales (kid) guy said you got it.. And I didn't even have to put my car in the shop!

They pushed the Scion I liked off of the showroom floor and out in to the lot. I produced my license and insurance and signed a form and I was gone. From the time I said what I said, to heading down the road, it was 10 quck minutes!

I like the vehicle. The arm rest that everyone complains about IS annoying. I'm sure this vehicle IS capable of good gas mileage. The problem is you are crusing at 85 and don't even know it, so gas mileage suffers because the vehicle is built so well and you end up going so fast. I think I'll end up with one in the coming months as it seems to be the best value I can find and I love that it's made in Japan. And it is in the sweet spot (for me) of weight that I like in a vehicle, 3k pounds. Anything heavier feels like too much.

Anyone know if you can tow anything with it..? (Like a small trailer big enough to put a motor bike on?)...

I almost wish I hadn't asked for an extended visit with this vehicle that's still out in my driveway... What kind of way is this to run a business ANYWAY!! GIVING AWAY CARS FOR A DAY..!!!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Forgot to mention, it's amazing the neck snapping power they are getting out of this 4 cyl. engine now..!

Reply to
Charles Pisano

It is now the 2.4 liter from the Camry/tC. Yup, neck-snapping acceleration, but don't expect more than 27 MPG. If you do better, let me know how you're doing it...

Of course, if I kept my RIGHT FOOT OUT OF IT....!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yea.. I see the consumer reports on edmunds confirming what you're saying. And having driven it I believe it. But I don't understand it.

I know it has a higher profile than my gutless 01 camry that still gets 27 city and 35 highway; But given how this powerplant is engineered, why isn't the mileage higher? They both weigh the same.

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Did you test drive the manual or automatic tranny?

Reply to
EdV

My short test drive was the manual and the 24 hour test was the auto...

Reply to
Charles Pisano

It's a really fun vehicle to drive. And I really liked the blue paint job and the upgraded stereo. A little too much road feel for my age (49). But I may have to over look that and get one. I took it down to the beach today before I took it back.

Did a U turn and wow what a nice tight turning radius.. It's like a 4 wheel motorcycle the way it clips along.. I couldn't use it as an everyday vehicle. My camry is for that, but as a toy to play with on the weekends it'd be cool...

Too bad they couldn't soften the ride a bit more...I wonder if I could modify it any to give it a softer ride..tires, or diff. struts..?

Reply to
Charles Pisano

I like it too (very much), I haven't even test drove one yet, just sat down while waiting for my oil change. If I was to get one I'd get the manual trans. I'm not a big fan of the 5spd A/T 2.4L powertrain on my

2007 Camry. If it was available when I bought a 2007 Camry, that would have been my car now. =)
Reply to
EdV

If I'm not mistaken the new camrys have a six speed trans. I drove one last year and the transmission seemed like it was always hunting a gear...

The maual on the XB is a five speed and the AT is a four..Maybe that explains the poor fuel economy. It needs overdrive? I was happy to go back and get my 01 camry. The XB is perfect except for the boucy ride..even has a timing CHAIN.!

You can trade your camry for an xb..

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

That's one reason I dont want to test drive the 08 xb.

Reply to
EdV

Re: 08 Scion XB- Test Drive Group: alt.autos.toyota Date: Sun, Nov 25, 2007, 8:38pm (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (EdV) You can trade your camry for an xb.. That's one reason I dont want to test drive the 08 xb.

Smart..

I miss it already. But, I know it's not practical for me. Burns too much fuel - As a salesman, I'm on the road all week. ..

But it's so darn fun to drive. The thing just rocks. If it got 35 highway it would be mine.

Reply to
Charles Pisano