1988 celica gt exterior colors???

can anyone tell me how to find out what colors you could get an 88 celica gt convtable in. the one i just bought is white,love the car, hate the color thanks.

Reply to
itsa93sl1

Google 1988 toyota paint colors

DuPont has a site, R-M has a site, and Touch up paint sites are all over the place.

What color do you want?

Reply to
Hachiroku

i'm not sure ,but i know white is not it!did 1988 gt conv. come in yellow??

Reply to
itsa93sl1

YELLOW?!?!?!?!?!

Hey, wait. My first Corolla was yellow. and I mean YELLOW! I also painted a Tercel Wagon Yellow. With a white Pearl mist over it. Yeah, it was BRIGHT!

Unfortunately, my Mind's Eye doesn't see this car looking very good in yellow. But, to each his own. I don't beleive there was a yellow that year, but here's a cheap solution.

Find a place that sells R-M (BASF) paints. They have an Off The Rack 'old technology' base that comes in yellow at about $75 a gallon. THey mix a binder into it that turns it into an Alkyd enamel, an Acrylic enamel, a Urethane enamel or a Base Coat/Clear Coat enamel.

I opted for Urethane because I think Urethane is the most durable, can be wet sanded and looks great after doing so.

The stock yellow is a little dingy so I added about 1/2 pint of Bright Yellow and 1/2 pint of White Pearl. This made it brighter, and adding the White Pearl mist REALLY made it brighter!

If you go with the enamels or the Urethane you can spray it and forget it. If you go with the BC/CC you spray the base, flash it for 40 minutes or so, and then spray the top coat.

Actually, what I did was wrong; I used the Urethane, and then took some of the Urethane binder, which is clear, and added the white pearl to that, and sprayed that. There should have been a Clear Coat over that, but on a

22 year old car that was rusting as I was painting it, who cared? I ran the car for two more years, and it still looked great when we put it on the trailer to the crusher...

BTW, the product is called Limco, the yellow is off the rack, and you can ask them to brighten it for you if you like.

They also have a red that I modified to m,atch Toyota Super Red II, and they have a dark blue metallic that was almost a perfect match for Toyota's Midnight Blue Metallic, which is the stock color on my '85 Celica. There are about 15 colors total.

It's not the latest and greatest anymore, but I think the Urethane is more durable that a lot of the Polyesters out there now...

Reply to
Hachiroku