1993 Corolla

Jack wonders: Re: 1993 Corolla; 227,000 km

I would like to lift the back of the car a bit, and stiffen it when towing my utility trailer. It tends to sag a bit even with only 100 lb on the tongue. I have put on aftermarket gas shocks already.

In 2003 I put on a transmission cooler (it's a 'medium' size but rated for a

4000 lb trailer if I recall). Since then the engine has run below medium operating temperature almost all the time. Why is this? Is it a problem? Is there a way to verify that I hooked the cooler up correctly (downstream from the rad)?

By the way, I wasn't able to look up the trans. fluid change interval on the Toyota website because my car is too old (1993) for their list. So, I would like to find out what the interval is.

Your comments are invited.

Thanks,

- Jack

Reply to
Ralph

Shock absorbers do not support the weight of the car; springs or struts support the weight of the car.

If you want to adjust the ride height of the vehicle, then add an air bag type suspension or change the springs.

As long as the engine and emissions system is fully warmed up, having the engine run a little below medium operating temperature is not a big problem. There is a difference between warming up quickly and then holding below the optimal temperature and taking a long time to warm up. If it takes a long time to warm up, make sure the cooling fan is not running all the time and that the thermostat is the correct one and not stuck.

If you are towing a trailer, I would change the ATF every 24,000 miles.

Reply to
Ray O

might be a coincidence. When was the last time the thermostat has been replaced ? and a good flush won't hurt either.

A transmission cooler cools the transmission, not the engine.

Reply to
RT

Thankyou gentlemen,

- Jack