1994 Camry crankshaft pulley

I own a 94 camry and I am new to working on cars.

I was driving, heard a clank and thought I had just accidentally run over some trash. Later that day, my AC stopped working and I went to check how tight the AC / Alternator belt. It was very loosed and looking at the crankshaft pulley I noticed that the piece with the metal grooves for the belt had fallen off. I went back and found that piece, but i'm pretty sure the pulley needs replacement.

I have 2 questions:

  1. Can there be damage to the crankshaft? i.e Am I over my head and should I take it to a mechanic?

  1. Where can I get a replacement pulley and how much should it cost?

I can rent the tools I will need, I'm guessing torque wrench, probably a breaker and the proper sockets. I really love this car and I want to take a more active role in its mainenence.

Thanks

Toasted Shark

Reply to
nrichman

Probably not. there could be damage to the bolt hole(s) on the end of the crank, but I doubt it will be fatal.

i.e Am I over my head and

If you gotta ask ...

You can get the pulley at an auto parts store. I have no clue what it should cost.

Perhaps yo work with somebody that can afford an afternoon to help you do what needs to be done. Be sure to reward him, or her, with a burger and a beer at Chili's, or equivelent, for their effort.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thankfully you don't have to replace a timing belt. I had to take my brother to Texas Roadhouse for his assistance on mine.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity