2003 Corolla Question

The Toyota dealer told me it was time for front brake pads and rotors at 30,000 miles. I know the pads are getting low, but rotors at 30K for this car? Neither the Toyota website nor the manual helped me out on this one.

Anyone with this car change thier rotors yet?

Reply to
googleisfun

Did they *inspect* the rotors?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Reply to
googleisfun

You'll have to look this up. Spec for Corolla rotors used to be 10mm min thickness. My Supra had 12mm Min thickness stamped into the edge. I have also seen 8mm as a min thickness.

Try to Google the spec and then, as a 'quick' way to guage, is to take a wrench the correct size and see if it slips over the rotor. This is just a rule of thumb.

Usually the rotors last two pad changes.

Reply to
Hachiroku

At 185,000 miles on my Sienna (that I trail with) I have changed my rotors twice. This is not a regular maintenance thing, it is an as needed thing. One measures the thickness of the rotor to see if it has worn too much and there is likely a bad reason for that sort of abnormal wear (too aggressive braking that heats up the rotors and warps them, letting the pads get too worn out so that they dig grooves into the rotors...). Also, there are cheap rotors that warp easily (Midas specials) and there are good ones that are built better and last.

Long ago I had a Chevy Nova (Corolla) that Midas put new rotors on and the next time in what do you know, "you need new rotors". I felt really scammed when they tried blaming it all on my braking habits. I just left (forever) without them doing anything and those same supposedly bad rotors lasted for the remaining life of that car (about another 100K miles).

My point is that rotors can be one of the "gullible customer scams". Sometimes you need them, many times you really do not. Beware. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

My '92 Corolla Wagon has had two pad changes at 200,000 total miles.

The rotors are still original.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Depending on driving conditions and driving style, it is very possible that the car needs front brake pads at 30,000 miles. The minimum pad thickness is 2 mm - if any 1 out of the 4 front brake pads is less than 2 mm, then replace all of the front pads. If you do not feel any pulsation in the pedal when you apply the brakes and the pads have not worn grooves in the rotor, then you probably do not need rotors.

Reply to
Ray O

My 2003 Corolla has had brakes done twice over about 85K miles. Rotors changed the second time brakes were done. I could feel that they had become warped. The reason mine lasted so long I figure is that about

80% of my driving is highway....not much brake use.

Take it somewhere else and see what they say.

Paul

googleisfun wrote:

Reply to
BM5680

Reply to
I_Google_I

Reply to
I_Google_I

I have 46K miles on my 2003 Corolla, and my brakes are fine. A lot of my miles from from VA to FL, but I also commute 45 mins to and from work....lots of stop-n-go, with no brake problems.

What are your driving habits like?

John

Reply to
John-USN