2006 Corolla LE Maplights standard?

Last month I bought a new 2006 Corolla LE with the 5-speed manual transmission. I was surprised to find it didn't have the maplights under the rear-view mirror (the car I test-drove had that option but I eventually ending up buying this one at a different dealer).

The documentation I can find on the Internet seems to indicate that the maplights are a standard feature of the 2006 Corolla LE model. And the window sticker also indicates that maplights are a standard feature.

I'm guessing that the dealer is going to have to put maplights in at no charge, correct?

Any ideas on how they wouldn't be there in the first place?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

According to Toyota's web site, vehicles equipped with the available moonroof have the map lights mounted on the overhead console. Do you have the moonroof? If you do not have a moonroof, then I'd say the dealership owes you the correct mirror with maplights.

Reply to
Ray O

No moonroof. I think somehow they accidentally put the CE mirror in my LE at the factory. I'll be at the dealer on Friday and I'll find out what they can do for me.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Mis-built vehicles are rare but not unheard of. The dealership should be able to change it for you but they may have to order the parts.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote >> Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Tell me about it. Several years ago while my wife was driving and I was free to look at the scenery, we passed a Neon car which said "Dodge" on or near the rear trunk lid, but "Plymouth" at the rear of the front fender. Go figure!

Reply to
mack

Yeah, I figure they changed either the fender or the trunklid sometime in the past with a junkyard part from the other Chrysler built car. The yards know all about what body parts will and will not fit, and they don't worry about the steenking badges.

Did the paint jobs match? Bet they didn't.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ No, actually this was a fairly newish Neon that looked totally kosher except for the mismatched badges. I think it must have been a factory mistake. (Many years ago, a college pal who had worked in a GM assembly plant over the summer told me he'd occasionally forgotten and put Pontiac bumpers on Buicks...and they never caught the mistake! Nor did he have time to rectify matters when he realized his error, because the car had already gone past him on the line.

Reply to
mack

Well, if the grille didn't fit because the bumper was the wrong shape, they would have caught it a few stations down at the grille installation station.

But stopping the line in Detroit is a Mortal Sin - They'd just leave off the grille and any pieces related to it, flag the car, and send it through the rest of the production line. They can make it all right in the Rework Shop - and waste several hours of labor at it.

As opposed to an Import maker, where you pull the cord and stop the line, you fix the goof in 60 to 90 seconds, and then start the line again.

And then they'd fix the software and procedures so there can be no more mix-ups. Build a conveyor belt system - the computer knows which part is the right one for the next car up, a robot arm picks the right one off the three or four pallets of bumpers around it, confirms it with a barcode check, and puts it on the conveyor belt to your assembly station.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Toyota was already doing this back in 1985... FWD Celicas on the same line as RWD Corollas. The drivetrain came out of a hole in the floor oriented sideways or north-south as needed, in seemingly random order but synchronized with the model coming down the line. The same thing with interiors, glass, etc. Anything that was not common was already pre-picked and staged, even down to the number of nuts or bolts to attach the drivetrain.

Reply to
Ray O

Sounds like the only thing you can do. So good luck.

tom @

Tom The Great