2007 Yaris Sedan - Factory Oil ?

What weight/viscosity do they originally put in the crankcase ? Is it sort of "break-in" oil that has to be drained sooner, than "normal" oil @ regular intervals ? Service mgr. in the dealership, where I purchased my Yaris 3 weeks ago was apparently playing an idiot. He said - look on top of the oil cap in the engine compartment: it should say, what oil is recommended. I know it's BS - my book says " 5W-30", so does " the cap" but the newest TSB for Yaris says "5W-20", and some folks on NGs even recommend 0W-30 synthetic........ kd

Reply to
duszkiew

sorry, the last line should read : ......."0W-20"

Reply to
duszkiew

sorry, the last line should read : ......."0W-20"

Reply to
duszkiew

sorry, the last line should read : ......."0W-20"

Reply to
duszkiew

sorry, the last line should read : ......."0W-20"

Reply to
duszkiew

sorry, Google is screwing me as it usually does :)

Reply to
duszkiew

Toyota does not use "break-in" oil or oil that has to be drained sooner than normal.

I have not seen the TSB that you referenced, but it probably lists when the factory fill changed over to the new viscosity, if at all.

Reply to
Ray O

I placed 5 W 30 in mine. I live in Dallas...

Reply to
GO Mavs

I thought the whole reason for using multi-grade oil was so that you could use one oil all year, regardless of the temperature???

5w30 oil is supposed to have the same viscosity as single-weight 5w oil at cold temperatures and 30w oil at high temperatures. Also wouldn't 0w oil have the same shear characteristics as water?

I think you're right about the so-called "break-in oil". No car manufacture uses that today. Even when it was used, it wasn't really a "special" oil, just a light weight oil that would allow the high spots to wear down faster.

Jack

Reply to
Must be Me

The whole reason is that the engine, even on the hottest days of summer is operated at various temperatures, like from 110 F to parts that get up to maybe 300 F (I am just guessing). So even on the hottest days, you have a range of temperatures that the oil operates in. Multiviscosity oil lets the oil work properly at a variety of operating temperatures.

Even in summer, you need an oil that operates at a range of temperatures (or, I guess you can preheat the oil and engine before starting it up).

Of course, during winter, the range is even greater (maybe -20 F to 300 F).

Reply to
Jeff