$30,000 for a PRIUS?

: I thought dumping was selling something in a foreign market for : less (given the exchange rate) than it was sold for in the do- : mestic market, not selling it at less than cost. Losing money : on a car would make sense if it were offset by some greater good, : like, say, the car's being a "halo" model that would create consumer : interest in the marque at large.

Okay, then I concede the point. I don't recall where I read (or thought I read) that Toyota was losing money on the Prius. And as luck would have it, I just tossed out a grocery sack full of old magazines a week ago.

Maybe what I read was that Toyota has a narrow profit margin on the Prius, and conflated that with something else. If I see anything more in that vein, I'll let you know.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

You might have read or heard it. That doesn't make it true. Just tune into FOX tv and you will see what I mean.

Reply to
Art

LOL! The only time I ever need to refer back to magazine articles is after I have thrown them out.

When evaluating information, always consider the source. Having worked for Toyota for 15 years, I can tell you that A) Toyota does not price anything to lose money; and B) Toyota is very sensitive to avoiding anything that may be construed as dumping or anti-competitive in behavior.

Reply to
Ray O

Document your dig...Art...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Art bottom-posts:

Uh, I subscribe to five car magazines and buy several others on an occasional basis. Keeping up with, and reporting on, the car industry is automotive journalists' job. When I read something in one of the major car magazines, let alone in more than one of them, I'm justified in taking it seriously. In this case, I probably misremembered something I'd read -- but that was my error, and it in no way undermines the credibility of the reportage.

I'll make the same challenge to you that I've made to a number of others: Please cite anything you've seen on Fox News that turned out to be false. In the sense of being intentionally misleading, I mean, not in the sense of being based on infor- mation available to one and all at the time, which turned out to be false.

Note that this doesn't include disagreeing with commentary that's clearly presented as such. Lefties love to point to Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity et al. as evidence that Fox News is right-leaning. But those people are commentators, not reporters. And the very format of "Hannity & Colmes" is the personification of "fair and balanced."

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller