81 Corolla won't start, diagnose electrical problem, how?

When I tried to start my car one morning smoke came from under the dashboard and the starter motor didn't turn. Now the car turns on, all of the dashboard lights light up, the radio plays, etc. but there is no activity or sound from the starter motor. How do I diagnose this?

I was thinking of checking the starter solenoid wire for 12V when the ignition key is in the 'start' position. If there's no voltage there, where else should I look?

If smoke came from under the dash, is it possible that the wire from the key to the starter solenoid smoked and I can just replace it with a wire I run myself? I looked under the dash and inside the steering column housing, but I didn't see any bad, discolored wires anywhere.

Any suggestions appreciated, Travis

Reply to
travis

If you check the starter solenoid wire and there is no voltage, check fuses, circuit breakers, and fusible links.

To check if a wire is open, use a continuity tester. If a wire is burned or broken and has is open, replace the wire with one of the same gauge.

Reply to
Ray O