91 Camry... How do you remove plug wires from distributor??

I am working on my old 91 Camry LE. It has been a great car (it has

188 k miles) and I have worked on most of its problems during the years. I am working on diagnosing what appears to be an ignition system problem and I ran into a problem that has bugged me for years. The spark plugs attach to the distributor with a plastic cap. I the past I have actually broken these caps in my effort to get the plug off the distributor. Last year, I replaced the plugs with a new set of OEM plugs. Therefore, I am back to trying to get these plugs off the distributor again. Is there a trick that will get them off without destroying the plastic caps??

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

Al,

Don't the spark plugs attach to ignition wires, which are attached to the distributor cap?

Are you talking about difficulty removing the spark plugs from the ignition wires or are you talking about removing the ignition wires from the distributor cap? I don't recall which models and years, but some have the cap and wires as an assembly where the wires do not disconnect from the cap.

Reply to
Ray O

My problem is with removing the spark plug wire from the distributor where it fits. With my 91 Camry, the plug wire pushes into the distributor and is fixed there with a plastic cap. The plastic cap is where I am having the problem.

Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

Sorry Al, can't help you there. Are you using OEM cap and wires?

Reply to
Ray O