91 Camry: Plug wires firing inconsistently, How do I diagnose?

I have a 91 Camry LE with 180K miles. It recently failed the HC portion of the Texas emissions test. As this is often caused by misfiring, I connected my inductive timing light to each of the plug wires. I found that there was a patterned miss in each of the wires. This lead me to believe that there is a problem with the distributor. My question is "What should I do next to find the problem?". BTW, I changed plugs and wires last year when I passed the emissions test. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

Distributor cap and rotor would be my first check - see if the cap may be carbon-tracked or the contacts inside dirty, and see if the rotor is in good shape.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Ditto, w/one change. Just replace them--they owe no more service & w/o lotsa experience, u might miss something impt. HTH & good luck. sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi