92 Camry Transmission problem

I noticed about a week ago that my 92 Camry was struggling to switch in to gear right after I started it. The RPMs would run high until it eventually got in gear. I hadn't driven it since today. I got in it today and it wouldn't go in to reverse. I drove it down the street and it slipped out of gear completely to where I couldn't get it to go anywhere. Now it only goes in reverse. Luckily I was near a friends and I backed it in to their garage. Is the tranny completely fried?

Reply to
KevinBagge

Have you checked the fluid level?

I'm betting it's low a quart at least. And since you have to add some, why not drop the pan, drain whatever will come out, clean/replace the screen, and refill?

Your tranny will thank you for it.

BTW, failure rates on Toyota trannies are very, very low.

Reply to
Hachiroku

that will cure about 75% of an autotranny's problems. just get a new filter, they are cheap and usually not wrth cleaning. lus how it works, ok?

Reply to
someone

When was the last time the transmission was serviced? Check the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) level on the transmission dipstick. If it is low, top it off. If it is black or smells burnt (I suspect it does), drain and refill the transmission fluid. Do not get it flushed. If a drain and refill does not cure the problem, the transmission is probably toast.

Reply to
Ray O