92 Levin Stereo Wiring

Does anyone have a diagram or can tell me what colour goes where with the wiring for the stereo in my Levin? Its the strangest wiring colouring i have ever seen.

Reply to
Anet

Yeah, they aren't very cool, are they?

Has the original harness been cut off? If not, you should be able to find a harness adapter pretty cheap that will plug in and allow you to add in an aftermarket stereo:

This plugs into the existing harness and is color-coded to industry standard for Aftermarket hook-up.

If you are trying to figure out the wiring for a CUT harness, then get yourself a cheap V-O-M (volt meter) and check it out.

Find a Ground (chassis point) in the car. The metal frame that holds the stereo in place is good. Hold or attach the black lead to that. Take the red lead, and let's look for the Battery Back-up. With the car OFF (keys out) touch the red lead to different wires until the volt meter shows ~12V. May be White/Red Stripe wire(?) Check for any other 12V wires and mark them +12 BATT.

Now, turn the lights on, and check again. If you find one, mark +12 Dash Lights. Turn the lights off.

Now, turn the car to ACC, and check again. Mark any you find +12V ACC Put them aside (note: Don't let any of them touch each other or the Ground!)

Turn the key to RUN and check again! Mark any you find here +12 IGN.

The remaining wires will be speakers and grounds. The best way to check for grounds is to change the meter to OHMS and touch the wires until you see 000. Mark these as GROUND.

Still on OHMS, remove the black lead from Ground, and hold it against one of the remaining wires. Touch the red lead to the rest of the remaining wires. When you hear a 'scratching' sound from one of the speakers, mark the pair as SPEAKER Right Door, Left Door, etc.

You may be able to figure from the coloring which of the speaker wires are suppose to be the + lead and which are the - lead.

If I made this too simplistic, don't be offended...I don't know your level of expertise! If too complicated, post another message, and I'll try to explain better!

Good Luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku