94 camry tranny question

hey,

i did a search after getting some meager info from my wife on this topic and found nothing. sorry if this question has been asked and answered.

my wife inherited a 94 camry. classic little old lady only drove it to church on sundays type automobile.

it's the 4 cy, FWD, four door sedan.

11 year old car, 36k on it. it sat for a 2-3 years. we had a bunch of routine maintenance done at a local, trusted shop. it has run well for about a year now.

she just had it detailed and added some pin stripes (the car looks almost showroom floor new) and someone she works with was admiring it and told her this vintage camry has two reservoirs for transmission fluid - one is filled from under the hood and the other is filled from under the car?

i rule nothing out when it comes to cars.

if this is fact, can someone enlighten me on it? should the undercarriage transmission reservoir (if it exists) be checked every 3-5k when the oil is changed like we check the tranny fluid under the hood every 3-5k?

if this is real, why was it engineered in such a weird way? what is the purpose. i know this is a front wheel drive. is it related to that?

thanks,

mike

Reply to
mike

tom418

Yes, there is a differential reservoir behind the transmission pan that must be changed separately. I believe the manual indicates it should be changed as often as the transmission fluid. Let me tell you, it is quite a pain to refill it unless you have some sort of pump since the opening is on the side of the housing and any tube you use from the top is hard to rout to it and keep from falling out.

Reply to
badgolferman