94 celica isc

i got most of my cold idle issue taken care of... but i would like to pull the idle air valve off and clean it... if i pull off the throttle body is there a gasket that needs replaced or do i need a dab of RTV? thanks

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

My guess is that if there is a gasket, it would be a rubber gasket and not RTV. If it does happen to be RTV, make sure you get one that specifically says that it does not harm O2 sensors.

Reply to
Ray O

If its a 3sge based engine its got a gasket, but its a thin metal one if its like my '91 (very similar design). You could re-use the metal gasket with some 02 sensor safe sealer in a thin smear.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

its a 5sfe

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

Ahh just whip it off, gaskets are only cheap as chips anyway.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

You're not really supposed to clean the idle air control valve; there are a couple of pages of tests in the factory service manual. If you do try to clean it, I'd use rubbing alcohol and q-tips.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O wrote: not really supposed to clean the idle air control valve; there are a

worked a treat on at least 3 ive done, inlcuding stupid renault ones that screw up all the time. I wouldnt really go with any sort of major physical contact other than a quick wipe with a soft cloth.

Coyoteboy

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

it is safe to spray the throttle body. I would not spray the idle air control valve directly. Spray a cotton swab or rag and then wipe out the IAC.

Reply to
Ray O