96 Paseo manual transmission problems

My son is away at college with this car, and working at a dealership for the summer. He called this morning and told me the transmission is making a lot of noise and the stick has a lot of movement no matter what gear he is in. He asked the mechanics at the dealership and they told him he needed to replace it. They can't actually look at it without charging him, they gave an opinion based on his discription. Go figure. Anyway, the good news is, as an emploee, they only charge $40/hr to work on the car. He can get a transmission for $300 at a junkyard.

My question is, it seems unlikely that a Toyota transmission would fail. I'm wondering if it is the linkage, and if so what the best way is to diagnose it. Also if it is the gearbox, how difficult a job is it to replace? Is this a backyard job or would one need a lift. I've done a fair number of old British stuff in the past, but nothing front wheel drive. Probably do the clutch at the same time. Good father/son bonding... ;+}

The car has 140k on it and has always been a good, realiable car until this. Even if we have the dealer do it for $300 in parts and a days labor, that is still only $5-600 total, I think that is worth it. But he doesn't have the money and I told him if he wanted a car at school he had to support it. Oh, hell, I know I'll end up helping...

Anyway all opinions accepted.

Thanks,

-Jim

Reply to
jtpryan

Did this problem suddenly arise? It could be the linkage / shift mechanism, shift forks, ect. In your position, I would have it towed to the dealership, diagnose the problem, and make a decision from there. It's really hard to diagnose without "hands on" looking at it. You will have to weigh repair costs and length of continued ownership, verses replacement cost of the vehicle. IMHO. Good luck dad!.

Reply to
user

We are a little light on symptoms. As Ph@boy hinted, if the problem arose suddenly, then I would suspect a shifter or shift bushing problem. What kind of noise is the transmission making?

Reply to