'96 toyota corolla power lock frozen--recall item?

re: power lock on driver's side rear door: was hoping door would open when I turned the child lock but that didn't work... I removed panel & unplugged wires that connected actuator but still could not unlock nor open door. I manually pushed 2 horizontal metal rod arms back & forth but door would not unlock nor open. Didn't see any broken parts on the lock mechanisms. Anyone know if the solenoid is located inside the actuator? I wonder if problem is a seized up solenoid or need to replace actuator motor? I heard that Toyota had a recall on a glitch in original door relay box that allows current to flow thru solenoids for too long under certain conditions & cause solenoid to overheat & seize up---anyone know anything about this recall & if it seems likely dealer would replace when only 1 of 4 doors won't open? also does anyone have a diagram of how to remove the actuator? any success w/ after market actuator/solenoid?

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

Did you disconnect the rods from the actuator to see if the the rods locked and unlocked the door? If you did and the door was still locked then the problem is not the actuator.

I'm assuming that if you went to the trouble of removing the interior panel, you at least checked to see if the rods were attached to the lock, and that all of the linkages were connected and not binding. With the rods diconnected from the actuator, you can apply powerf to the actuator to see if it moves.

I heard that Toyota had a recall on a glitch in

In the U.S., there were no recalls by Toyota for the 1996 Corolla, although

2 aftermarket companies issued recalls on aftermarket equipment. None had anything to do with door locks.

also does anyone have

You can get online access to factory repair manuals at techinfo.toyota.com.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O: you mentioned: "With the rods

you mean I need to reconnect the actuator wires, which are currently disconnected & try to open power door lock w/ the switch?

is the solenoid inside the actuator/lock motor?

do you have a l> > re: power lock on driver's side rear door: was hoping door would open

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

Yes, or you can find a 12 volt fused power source and apply power directly.

Not sure, but that it would be logical to place it in there.

Sorry, I do not. I usually just look at something, figure out how it works, and then try fiddling with it. Not very scientific, but I have a fair amount of success by breaking a problem down to the most basic level.

good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

Reply to
curiousitygeorge

If nothing happened, it does necessarily mean that the actuator is broken. You will need a volt-ohm meter or a 12 volt test light to see if power is coming to the wire harness connector at the actuator when you hit the switch. If power is coming to the connector, then the actuator is probably bad. If no power is coming to the actuator, then you have to see if power is coming to the switch. A wiring diagram will make this process much easier, especially if you do not have a good understanding of automotive electrical systems.

i need to be able to get the rear door

Even if the actuator is not working, you should be able to manually lock and unlock the door. If you cannot move the lock lever, then perhaps the actuator is frozen. If you mechanically disconnect the actuator, the lever should move. If the lever moves but the door still does not open from the inside or the outside, then the latch release is not working and you will have to take a look at it to figure out how to manually release the latch.

do you have a contact for Toyota manufacturer to inquire

You can visit your local Toyota dealer and ask them to check on any outstanding recalls. They can check by running the VIN through their computer. If you are in the U.S., you can check for recalls yourself at nhtsa.gov or try this link:

Ray O

will need a volt-ohm meter or a 12 volt test light

you hit the switch. If power is coming to the

actuator, then you have to see if power is coming to

if you do not have a good understanding of automotive

unlock the door. If you cannot move the lock lever,

actuator, the lever should move. If the lever moves but

release is not working and you will have to take a

outstanding recalls. They can check by running the VIN

yourself at nhtsa.gov or try this link:

Wow Ray, thank you for that handy link.

Dan

Reply to