98 Toyota Camry

Hey guys/gals,

The other day I was driving my 98 Camry and it suddenly started smoking under the engine real bad. I quickly pulled over to the side and the car just died. I looked under the hood and it was real black with heavy smoke and all. After it all cleared out I thought it may have been the starter but the engine didn't even start. Then I thought that it may have been the battery? but it wasn't because the battery connectors spark when I try to connect them to another battery. So now I'm stuck. My dad had put too much coolant into the tank. Could that be it? I'm not quite sure what is wrong with it now and it's just dead.

Question is does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
hmongyajboi

Did the smoke smell like burnt rubber or did it have a chemical odor? By any chance, were you using the air conditioner when the car started smoking?

I doubt if the starter would cause smoke while the engine is running since it should not be engaged, and if the starter were engaged while the engine is running, you would hear the clashing noise. When you say that the engine wouldn't start, do you mean that nothing happens when you engage the starter or does the engine turn over and not catch? if nothing happens or you hear clicking, then the battery may be discharged.

Battery connectors will spark when connecting 2 batteries if there is a difference in voltage between the 2 batteries, as is usually the case when jump-starting a car.

Check the alternator drive belt to make sure it is in place and not glazed or damaged. It is possible that the alternator, power steering pump, or air conditioner compressor froze up or one of the pulleys is frozen, causing the drive belt to slip and smoke. Did you hear any screeching noise when this happened?

Check for oil leaks, especially around and below the oil filter, and make sure the oil filler cap is in place. Oil smoke tends to be more grey-blue than black but check anyway. Make sure there is no fuel leaking around any of the fuel line connectors. Check the condition of the air filter to make sure debris has not accumulated in the air filter housing.

If you cannot find the cause of the smoke, have the car checked by a competent automotive technician to make sure it is safe.

Reply to
Ray O

Could be many things. I think most likely thing is that oil either started burning or got real hot and started smoking. I am wondering if some electrical wires didn't get fried, which explains why the car won't start. Perhaps you should run the car until it started to burn for real, then ran like hell!

Anyway, I think you need it towed to a mechanic.

Too much coolant in the tank is not a problem. It would just run out.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The "too much coolant" overflowed and fried the electrical systems?

Reply to
ZR

No, very highly unlikely.

Reply to