A Toyota in the Family

Well my Sister liked the SO's RAV4 enough that she is buying one. If it turns out to be a lemon, I know who will get the blame, since I encouraged her to try it out.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" ...

You recommended a Toyota?!

When did hell freeze over, and why wasn't I told?

;-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I didn't actually recommend the RAV4 (but I didn't discourage Her from buying it either). I did encouraged my older Sister to test drive my SO's RAV4. My Sister wanted a smaller SUV and the SO has been very happy with her RAV4. My Sister liked the way it drove, the price was OK (but not outstanding), so she decided to buy one. I was a little surprised. My younger Sister has a 2001 Escape and it has been pretty much trouble free over the last 7 years. I had assumed my older Sister would just buy an Escape since my younger Sister has been so happy with hers. But in the end, She didn't even want to test drive an Escape. She was happy with RAV4 even though it cost at least $3k more. The upside for me is that I already know how to work on the RAV4 (oil changes, etc.) and I won't have to learn yet another vehicle. And oil changes for the RAV4 are very easy (10 minute job). Hopefully the RAV4 will be as reliable as the Honda it is replacing.

BTW, I don't have anything against Toyotas in general, I just think they are over-hyped and generally over-priced. Some of the stories you hear about Toyotas have reached "mythic" proportions.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" ...

If you can go by the stats, it should.

LOL agreed. None of ours have ever turned water to wine.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

What, Nat? You never heard the story about the car that wouldn't start and was brought back to life simply because a Toyota parked next to it ? And of course, if the Toyota has 4 wheel drive, naturally it will be able to walk on water! But seriously folks, when you compare Toys to lots of other makes, you realize that outside of routine replacement of wear-prone items, they seem to go on like an Energizer bunny, and you don't get to know the service writers on a first name basis. And I've yet to own a Toy that started acting like an old car, acquiring rattles and looking frayed around the edges.

Reply to
mack

"mack" ...

LOL - tell that to all the idjits who think you can drive quickly on ice...

Our Corolla FX 16 needed a new mount, so she shook for a bit.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Can't disagree with you on either statement, although my experiences owning Toyotas since 1981 is that they deserve most of their reputation for reliability and durability.

I'm not sure you can call them overpriced in regard to the sticker prices relative to the competition, but I do think the current unwillingness by most dealers to come down off that sticker has made them overpriced in regard to the OTR price.

I think Honda wins the overpriced contest, though, when you compare the Corolla to the Civic.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

It's interesting: The Land Cruiser used to be a small, compact SUV excellent at picking through the woods. Look at it now.

The 4-Runner was a pickup sized SUV with 2 doors and an excellent drive system. Look at it now.

The RAV 4 was based on the Celica All-Trac and could be had in 2 or 4 doors, another excellent vehicle for picking through the woods, but not quite as bullet-proof as the FJ40.

Now it's a bloated pig. What's Toyota's next small SUV (The one they don't send to the US...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

spelled M-A-Z-D-A...

Reply to
Hachiroku

(Never saw my '83 Tercel AWD...)

But, it ran like new!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Grrrrrrrrrr........

Reply to
Hachiroku

There, there, Hachi. "Trish" says hi, from Florida.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Ah, yes....Trisha Toyota...see, I remember! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Actually Tritia Toyota - there was a newscaster in LA who was actually named that! We couldn't believe it. That's where Bob got the name.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Does that mean the Cubs are going to win the World Series this year?

Charles the Curmudgeon

Reply to
<n5hsr

Dare to dream, Charles.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Tell me about the idiots that don't understand basic physics. Water plus cold minus salt and minus sunlight equals ICE. Maybe they need a physic? I'm going along at 25 because as soon as I try to accelerate, I can feel the tires loosing grip, so I back down. Meantime, some jerk in an SUV is going by at 50 in the next lane.

Charles the Curmudgeon

Reply to
<n5hsr

Haven't you heard? SUV's can do anything! Just watch the commercials. :)

On a serious note, yesterday I watched an SUV pull out in front of an

18wheeler. The driver and the child on the left side of the vehicle were both killed. The driver of the truck and the others in the car were injured. The driver of the SUV, as many do, figured she could just pull out and everyone else would get our of her way because she was in an SUV.

I contend it's a bigger traffic safety problem than speeding AND drunk driving.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

!

Yup - I can't tell you how many 4WD vehicles (often big trucks) you see in ditches during icy weather.

Idjits.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®