Adios Camry

Well, I finally got rid of the 07 Camry LE. I traded it for an 04 Avalon and I gotta say, what a difference! All of the irritation and bad Toyota feelings have disappeared with the Vrrooooom of that V-6, a transmission that doesn't shift constantly and lack of road/wind noise. That's the last Camry I'm going to buy! jor

Reply to
jor

========

Jor, that's the main reason I decided to buy the '06 Camry LE in January of '06, instead of waiting just a couple more months for the '07 Camry to come out.

I had read that the transmission of the '07 Camry would be quite different than the very well-made and *proven* '06 model tranny.

So I hopped onto the '06 bandwagon while I still had a chance, and got a great deal to boot :-)

The '07 tranny has significantly fewer parts than the tranny in the prior incarnation of the Camry. We posted about this a couple years ago. You might want to do a search if interested.

Actually, I've found the relevant thread. It appeared early last year and is titled / '07 versus '06 . Here's a link:

And here's a copy of my post from that time, raising the transmission question:

One of Toyota's engineers had this to say about the new

6-speed automatic transmission that's available with the six-cylinder (V6) '07 Camry:

"The old five-speed automatic transmission was much more expensive than the new six-speed automatic. The new transmission has 20 percent fewer parts and reduced weight. I don't know how much less it costs to build, but from the start of development, engineering was working to reduce parts and increase performance."

Reply to
Built_Well

And

Thanks for the link. I'm been reading this newsgroup for a long time but probably forgot about this issue (first the hair, then the memory). Interestingly enough, the guy I bought the 07 Camry and 04 Avalon from told me they get a lot more requests for the earlier models. jor

Reply to
jor

I wonder what Shigeru Hayakawa has to say about this 07 Camry flop.

Reply to
EdV

Is that a 4-cyl '07 Camry you're comparing to a 6-cyl Avalon?

We were going to trade our 05 Camry XLS V6 for a new 07 XLS V6, but then we took it for a test drive. What a junker. We have been driving Camry V6s since 2000 and have noticed a drop off in quaility with each new re-design. But this 07 has got to be the worst. It seemed tinny and uncomfortable. Long story short, we bought an 08 Avalon and love it. This is what the Camry used to be.

-- John

Reply to
John Raymond

Yip. In an earlier post I suggested that anyone buying a Camry should go for the V-6. Around here (Arizona), they are really hard to find. Anyhow, I agree with the next post (John R) that the 07 Cary seems kinda tinny. I think it's mostly that four cylinder screaming away down there and the very noticeable shifts. jor

Reply to
jor

Well the 4cyl Camry power is just right for my normal use. For me, power is not the issue, its the power delay, when I step on the accelerator, theres a noticeable lag between the time I step on the accelerator and the car starts to respond. This occurs mostly when I take of my foot of the accelerator and the car coasts and I accelerate again, the response time is quite poor. Feels like the car is stuck in the higher gear and didn't downshift as I have imagined it to do. So what I do to counteract this is to shift the lever to 3 or 2 depending on my speed when I know I will be on that scenario (e.g. merging to a freeway, accelerating right after coming from an intersection) Other than that, the 4 cyl power is enough for my requirement.

Reply to
EdV

I gotta say, what a

with the Vrrooooom of that

noise. That's the last Camry

took it for a test drive.

drop off in quaility with

uncomfortable.

Okay, but at what greater cost?

Reply to
sharx35

A 4-cal '07 Camry is a slug when compared to ANYTHING LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The four is fine in a Camry, IF one drives down hill often. I is going UP hill that it is where it's a dog LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I had one for a week as a loaner. The 4 banger is quite adequate and gets out of its own way quite handily. Quite posting about things about which you know nothing.

Reply to
Bob H

And that explains why they sell so gosh darn many. Those downhills.

Yes, but perhaps it's that people would really really really prefer a F or a GM, but they buy a Toyota instead since Toyota's hypnotized everyone into believing their products are better when in fact they are not. Nope, oops, sorry, my mistake, they've hypnotized them to believe there are no uphills! Glad that's cleared up.

Yes, this hypnosis thing certainly explains why Toyota is so successful. And let's all be thankful that they've turned to mass hypnosis instead of putting a perfectly adequate, reliable, and thrifty 4 cylinder engine in the Camry.

Please, please keep buying F's so that their eventual failure takes longer. It's so entertaining to watch them keep shooting themselves in the foot with their such well designed, reliable, well-made, and well-supported products. Gosh darn, if they close many more plants, will there even be a company left? I don't think even the government of the U.S. will jump in to save this mess. And I pity the poor lenders to this company who will be finding out the hard way what grievous mistakes they have made.

Reply to
Bob H

Long story short, we bought an 08 Avalon and love it. This is what the Camry used to be.

Yea, the Avalon is a lot more expensive but it sure is a lot more car too. My 07 Camry had 17,000 miles on it. I traded it and 18 hundred dollars for an 04 Avalon with 26,000 miles. jor

Reply to
jor

Can we assume you did not have occasion to go UP hill with four of your friends? LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I guess we can assume you do not have occasion to drive the interstates over the mountains of Pennsylvania? LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

07 Camry had 17,000 miles

Sounds like a pretty fair deal.

Reply to
sharx35

Yea, I liked the deal. I had intended on getting an 06 or 07 Avalon but then this one came up so I jumped on it. jor

Reply to
jor