Avensis 1.8 thermostat

Hi, My '99 Avensis 1.8 is running cool, also has fast idle at junctions etc. If the car is left statinary it warms up and the fast idle disapeears. Is the thermostat stuck open ? Where about is the thermostat located? Its been 20 years since I last changed a thermostat on an old Ford Escort and engine layout has changed somewhat !!

Thanks

Reply to
tzd3sw

I'm not familiar with the Avensis but the symptoms you are describing suggest a thermostat that is stuck open, especially if the temperature gauge show lower than normal operating temperature. To find the thermostat, follow the upper radiator hose to the engine block and look for a bulbous housing.

Reply to
Ray O

I had exactly the symptoms you describe when the thermostat failed on my Celica. The thermostat is in the housing on the engine end of the top radiator hose.

Reply to
Neil J. Harris