2001 Mondeo thermostat

Hi all,

My wifes 2001 1.8 petrol needs a new thermostat. Its the cam chain Ford/Mazda "new I4" engine.

The stat is under the inlet manifold on the left front of the engine, my question is - can I change the stat without removing either the inlet manifold or the power steering pump, or both? Any one know what a dealer would do if the stat had to be changed?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
smarshall

I guess none of you have done this before. I have now completed the job.

For future reference - thermostat is only available from Ford, list price =A375 plus VAT. To access the thermostat remove the offside head light and work through the hole, a bit James Herriot but it works. Its still very difficult if you have big hands. The plastic legs on the old thermostat will probably be broken off, this is the usual failure mode, be carefull when putting the new stat in not to put any pressure on the legs. It took me about an hour, no idea how long Ford would take but have heard of people being quoted over =A3200 from Ford main dealer.

Hopw this helps someone in the future.

smarshall

I guess none of you have done this before. I have now completed the job.

For future reference - thermostat is only available from Ford, list price £75 plus VAT. To access the thermostat remove the offside head light and work through the hole, a bit James Herriot but it works. Its still very difficult if you have big hands. The plastic legs on the old thermostat will probably be broken off, this is the usual failure mode, be carefull when putting the new stat in not to put any pressure on the legs. It took me about an hour, no idea how long Ford would take but have heard of people being quoted over £200 from Ford main dealer.

Hopw this helps someone in the future.

Thanks, I will file it for the future.

Reply to
Mrcheerful