Best engine to swap into a '98 Starlet? (Aus)

Looking for the best engine to swap into my Starlet. Stock engine is underpowered at best.

Needless to say, looking for something with a little more poke.

Have had suggestions from a toyota 4AGZE through to a Lexus 4.4l V8 or an Evo 5 engine.

Would prefer suggestions that will fit in easily enough, and attach to the existing FWD hardware if possible. Leaning towards a N/A engine as it's easier to pass emissions testing, easier to get registered, and much easier to get insured.

-- mark

98 Starlet Life 1.3 MY02 Forester 2.5XS
Reply to
Mark H

<djmcreynolds1

I would probably go for the 4A-GE alone. This will bring you up to a peppy

128HP (US) which should be plenty for a Terkel. I was going to do this with my '95 but sold it for a Supra before I could do it...
Reply to
hachiroku

How about a 3S-GTE out of an Alltrac? For injection etc, think about buildign and fitting a Megasquirt.

That way you can have a fully mappable properly tunable EFI system with whatever engine you choose, and no worries about CEL problems.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

None of them in Aus. Quite hard to come across over here. Considering a BMW 325 6-cyl engine, except for the whole cost thing.

-mark

Reply to
Mark H