w/Toyotas what does the distinction "SR5" Stand for ???

Just curious . I know they used that badge "SR5" to indicate an elite and higher dollar model of vehicle . Not unlike the the " L " or Limited monniker , but does anyone know what S. R. 5 really stands for word wise ???

Reply to
K.J. VanderKoog

I've heard both Sport Runabout 5-Speed and the more commonly used Sport Rally 5-Speed. Either or works.

Reply to
griffin

gee that's kinda weird . My SR5 is a 4-speed automatic .

Reply to
K.J. VanderKoog

Yeah, it USED to be that the SR-5 designation was used to boost a base coupe w/4-speed manual to a 5-sp with guages (as opposed to Idiot deLights) and vinyl seats to cloth. Was used only for Manuals, Auto were desginated DX. But I'm sitting here looking at a 4-Runner marked SR-5 with an Auto. Now is just denotes another trim level...

Reply to
hachiroku

Reply to
griffin

That's not as bad as Pontiac sticking the "GTO" designation on a Sunfire. Or how about Oldsmobile slapping the "442" designation on a Calais in the early 90s.

Reply to
Imminent Vengeance

Except that the Tacoma PreRunner SR5 gets an automatic ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Original SR5 models were all equipped with 5 speed manual transmissions. Automatics came later.

Reply to
Ray O

...Like my 85 SR5 Extra Cab LB with the 4spd Auto...

noneyabusiness