Big snow broke the windshield - how to fix now?

Or those that have nothing to lose, of course.

Reply to
dizzy

DEMONrats, for example?

Reply to
Sharx35

That may be the case in Canada. One premiums are regulated by ones particular situation and the vehicles they insure. In Delaware collision coverage is offered separately from comprehensive coverage. I pay an annual comprehensive premium of $29.50 for zero deductible on a 2006 Lincoln Zephyr and $32.25 on a 2005 Mustang GT convertible. $1,000 deductible collisions costs me $375 and $480 respectively. You are correct $500 deductible collisions would be $75 more, but the effect on comprehensive is negligible.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Incredibly, at least in the last 20 years, in Alberta, "comprehensive" which, up here, is mainly fire, theft,vandalism and specified perils, e.g. glass, costs an arm and a leg. Over the years, I've priced it on various vehicles, with no personal claims record, and found it worthless unless I was willing to claim for a new windshield every 12 to 14 months. Try that, up here, and one would quickly be cancelled, hence the reason I carry a $500 deductible on comprehensive: for the fire and theft That excludes the front windshield from any coverage but includes the side and rear glass, save for the deductible, of course. Again, I carry a $1000 deductible on my collision coverage, not because I can't afford low or no deductible, but because by assuming the minute risk of having to pay out the $1000 deductible for an accident *I* cause, I've saved THOUSANDS, over the years, by NOT having a low deductible. It's all a matter of risk vs. reward. By the way, I sneer at investing in ultra safe things like term deposits!!

Reply to
Sharx35

I'm paying a total of $350.77 every 6 months for the new Camry.

Here's an itemized breaddown:

Bodily Injury/Property Damage Liability = $137.82 ($50k / 150k / 50k)

Medical Payments = $21.47 (5k each person)

Collision ($250 deductible) = $138.66

Comprehensive ($250 deductible) = $42.49

Emergency Road Service = $3.20

Uninsured Motor Vehicle = $7.13

Remember, that's every 6 months.

Reply to
Built_Well

Just today I have had the windscreen changed on my big Land Cruiser. I have an UK £250 deductible but for glass it is only UK£25 with no impact on the no-claims bonus discount. It was so easy to arrange. I just phoned the company [Autoglass] and told them the vehicle road registration plate number and they had all the information, including my address, chassis number and insurance details to hand. The glass is not OEM Nippon Glass but is European St Gobain [who make OEM glass for european vehicles] and has an identical tint to original. Will find out tomorrow if the window holds water and whether it has a wind noise or any other malfunction.

Is a 'deductable' the same as what I know of as an 'excess' ? When I have a £250 excess it means that I have to pay the first £250 of any damage. In the case of my window it has a £25 excess for replacement and if a repair to a small crack or chip is appropriate, then it is completely free of charge to me.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

From what you are describing, yes, a deductible is the same an "excess."