Camry tire question

Not intendign to uestion anybody veracity but all cars have speed limiter based on the tire ratings, except ZR rated.

I don' know what the tire letter rating is for the OEM tire on a Camry but I doubt it is greater than "S" or 112 MPH, at which point the speed limiter, which is set at 5% below the tire rating or around 106 MPH, would kick in.

Cars that have OEM "ZR" rated tires do not have a limiter because few cars can attain a speed as great as that which the tire is capable for running for the one half hour set as the standard. My Mustang has "ZR" rated tires, 'above 149 mph' but it will only do 150 MPH. ( I tested it at Pocono )

.

SPEED SYMBOL MAXIMUM SPEED APPLIES TO PASSENGER CAR TIRES APPLIES TO LIGHT TRUCK TIRES

  • above 149 mph (240 km/h) YES -

Y** 186 mph (300 km/h) YES -

W** 168 mph (270 km/h) YES -

V (with service description) 149 mph (240 km/h) YES -

H 130 mph (210 km/h) YES YES

U 124 mph (200 km/h) YES YES

T 118 mph (190 km/h) YES YES

S 112 mph (180 km/h) YES YES

R 106 mph (170 km/h) - YES

Q 99 mph (160 km/h) - YES

P 93 mph (150 km/h) - YES

N 87 mph (140 km/h) - YES

M 81 mph (130 km/h) YES Temporary Spare Tires -

*For tires having a maximum speed capability above 149 mph (240 km/h), a "ZR" may appear in the size designation. For tires having a maximum speed capability above 186 mph (300 km/h), a "ZR" must appear in the size designation. Consult the tire manufacturer for maximum speed when there is no Service Description. Example: P275/40R17 93W at 168 mph (270km/h) or P275/40ZR17 at above 149 mph (240 km/h). Consult tire manufacturer.

**A "ZR" may appear >> On Sat, 17 May 2008 08:21:09 +0000, "mjc13"

Reply to
Mike hunt

Hachiroku

My first set of Michelins were excellent. That was in 1975. I bought one more set a few years later. That was the last set.

When I have the $$$, I buy Bridgestones.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Maybe today they do, but they didn't in 1986. Actually, I kind of doubt that economy cars have speed limiters even today to keep them from exceeding their tire ratings...when they can't do it anyway.

Reply to
mjc1