Can't shift

Although both the brakes and clutch use hydraulic fluid (basically oil) to push the clutch or brakes, the systems are isolated from each other. So clutch problems won't affect the brakes and vice versa.

You should have your brakes checked, too. Perhaps you will need your brake fluid changed too. I know you said you don't have a lot of money, but, you can't take a second job if you're dead.

Reply to
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote

| Although both the brakes and clutch use hydraulic fluid (basically oil) | to push the clutch or brakes, the systems are isolated from each other. | So clutch problems won't affect the brakes and vice versa. | | You should have your brakes checked, too. Perhaps you will need your | brake fluid changed too. I know you said you don't have a lot of money, | but, you can't take a second job if you're dead.

I was reading this page:

It does not say there is a separate place to check transmission/clutch fluid, so I assumed they are sharing the fluid. Is the info on that page incomplete?

Reply to
Pat

Try some Exlax?. Oh - wait. I mis-read your subject line.

Bill Putney

Shoot, I've had the thing for three years now.

Shipping will be about $2. To get rid of the thing is worth it.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

You're pretty smart when you're not talking about subjects you know nothing about, like government & politics.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

This is kind of a weird situation. I've had it happen three times now.

Fill the reservoir if the fluid is low. According to AutoZone, it's behind a panel on (or under) the dash behind a panel. It'll be a translucent platic reservoir most likely with a black top on it. If it's empty, and you're lucky, filling it will reolve the issue. I have an '89 Mazda this happened to, I bought the slave, but filling the tank did the trick.

The bad part is, if it's empty, it may need bleeding. Unless there is a leak, then it will 'sort of' bleed itself.

After you filled the tank, pump the pedal a few times, and then start the van. Put it into a gear that's not facing anything (ie, if the nose is facing the garage, put it in reverse) ;)

Let the clutch out and see if it's still near the floor. Also, like I mentioned, leave the engine off and pump it. Have someone else look for fluid running out somewhere.

If it works, good. Drive it for a while, keep an eye on the tank (reservior is a long word!) and see if it goes down again. And look where the plunger goes into the tank and see if it's soggy around it, or if brake fluid is puddling under it.

Now, the weird part. I had the master go on one car, and the slave go on two. If the slave is gone, you can push the clutch ALL THE WAY to the floor, and it will shift OK. Now great, but it will shift. I drove one car like this for about 3 weeks before the slave cylinder finally gave out...as I was turning into the driveway...of the Toyota dealer I worked for...

If it is the slave, I'll try to cross the part numbers and see if it will fit. Where are you?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I missed this part...I'm in MAss. Since it's your only vehicle, I wouldn't give you enough to afford another car. Of course, I could possibly part with one of mine, perhaps...

Unfortunately, Autozone shows all different parts for the two cars. There are four for the Cleica and four for the van, and none of the parts cross...

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Bill Putney" wrote

| Try some Exlax?. Oh - wait. I mis-read your subject line.

hahaha!!!

Reply to
Pat

| > Yes, it has 4WD and is a 5-speed. Where's your house and how much do you | > wanna pay for it? I would let it go for the right price. It needs a new | > side door unless you can live with stabilized rust on the bottom part of | > it. | | I missed this part...I'm in MAss. Since it's your only vehicle, I wouldn't | give you enough to afford another car. Of course, I could possibly part | with one of mine, perhaps...

I'm halfway across the country (Missouri), but if you really want this van we can talk about a trade. You would have to drive the trade vehicle here and drive back in the van cuz I can't take the time nor afford the gas.

Reply to
Pat

"Jeff Strickland" wrote

| Some people arfe adept at machines, and this problem would not prevent them | from driving to the repair shop. You do not sound to be one of these people.

I'm not much use as a mechanic but I'm an excellent driver.... ;)

| Drive slowly and deliberately.... it takes practice and an | at-oneness-with-your-machine that you do not sound | as if you possess.

I really am an excellent driver. That's gotta count for something!

Reply to
Pat

You got a lot of advice here, but I'll chime in.

The problem is not with the clutch engaging, the problem is that the clutch is not disengaging.

I doubt if it is a broken clutch fork - those failure are very rare.

The clutch master cylinder is the most likely suspect so follow the advice regarding checking fluid level and pumping the clutch pedal.

If the clutch itself needs replacement, it is an easier job than on a FWD vehicle.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote

| You got a lot of advice here, but I'll chime in. | | The problem is not with the clutch engaging, the problem is that the clutch | is not disengaging. | | I doubt if it is a broken clutch fork - those failure are very rare. | | The clutch master cylinder is the most likely suspect so follow the advice | regarding checking fluid level and pumping the clutch pedal. | | If the clutch itself needs replacement, it is an easier job than on a FWD | vehicle.

Thanks for chiming in! In the morning I'll see what I can find out and report back.

Reply to
Pat

"Jeff Strickland" wrote

| "Pat" wrote

| > I really am an excellent driver. That's gotta count for something!

| Okay, but can you shift without using the clutch?

Never tried before. Having someone show me would help but I might figure it out on my own.

Haven't had time to find my bottle of brake fluid and check the MC reservoir yet. Will do as soon as I can.

Reply to
Pat

We are having a rough time FINDING the mouth of the clutch master cylinder reservoir. Can anyone help?

Reply to
Pat

"Pat" wrote

| We are having a rough time FINDING the mouth of the clutch master cylinder | reservoir. Can anyone help?

I'm on the phone with the dealer I bought it from and they have a mechanic who's been there over 30 years and even he doesn't know.

Reply to
Pat

Unfortunately, my experience with this particular vehile is extremely limited...to driving a couple of them. I know where the engine is! But as far as the opening for the reservoir...

I'll have a look at my resources and see if I can find it.

Reply to
Hach

Here's the 1987 Factory Service Manual in .PDF format:

What it looks like is there is a cover on the side of the dashboard that is accessible when you open the driver's door. You remove this cover to access the reservoir. I haven't actually seen one, so you'll have to tell us what you find!

This is an interesting setup: the reservoir is all alone by itself; the master cylinder actually looks like the slave cylinder used in other Toyotas, but at the top of the cylinder there is a Banjo Bolt with a hose going to the reservoir (you think I'd copy and paste that word...)

It looks like you can access the tank under the cover on the side of the dash; to access the MC you have to remove large chunks of the dash! Unfortunately, it doesn't actually show the tank itself, only the cover on the side of the dash.

BTW, on the manual, you want the chapter labeled "Clutch".

Good luck! Let us know what you find!

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Hachiroku ????" wrote

| Here's the 1987 Factory Service Manual in .PDF format: | |

Thank you. Even the guy at the Toyota dealer couldn't find a manual.

| What it looks like is there is a cover on the side of the dashboard that | is accessible when you open the driver's door. You remove this cover to | access the reservoir. I haven't actually seen one, so you'll have to tell | us what you find!

That cover is for the brake fluid. Someone here earlier in this thread insisted there would be a separate place to add fluid for the clutch. But I cannot find another such place. I have searched every inch of the van inside and out, in the engine compartment and under the dash. No such opening seems to exist.

| This is an interesting setup: the reservoir is all alone by itself; the | master cylinder actually looks like the slave cylinder used in other | Toyotas, but at the top of the cylinder there is a Banjo Bolt with a hose | going to the reservoir (you think I'd copy and paste that word...) | | It looks like you can access the tank under the cover on the side of the | dash; to access the MC you have to remove large chunks of the dash! | Unfortunately, it doesn't actually show the tank itself, only the cover | on the side of the dash. | | BTW, on the manual, you want the chapter labeled "Clutch". | | Good luck! Let us know what you find!

I looked at every diagram in this section:

I couldn't see anything like what I'm looking for. Maybe you have better luck??

Reply to
Pat

It looks to me like the brake and the clutch reservoir may very well be the same thing. Both systems use the same fluid, so they may have combined the reservoir.

Since this may be the case, it could very well be the entire system may need to be flushed and refilled.

What I would do first is to take a *real* good look and see if maybe the reservoir is split. It doesn't look so from the drawings, but there may be two fillers under the same cap?

The next thing (hope you aren't going anywhere for a while...) would be to disassemble the dash and verify what I think. It's not as hard as it looks, and this section (The "REAL" owner's manual:

describes how to take the dash apart without guesswork. I would dig in and find out exactly what's going on.

Also, if the fluid is black and brackish, it may serve you well to bleed both the brakes and the clutch systems and get that old fluid out of there. That may (if you're lucky) be the extent of your problem.

Here's some more:

Wow....this is a stumper. Have another look and tell us what you see. I am afraid you're going to have to remove the dash to get a definitive answer...

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Hachiroku ????" wrote

| It looks to me like the brake and the clutch reservoir may very well be | the same thing. Both systems use the same fluid, so they may have combined | the reservoir.

I tend to agree but I know there are those here who will insist they are separate.

| Since this may be the case, it could very well be the entire system may | need to be flushed and refilled. | | What I would do first is to take a *real* good look and see if maybe the | reservoir is split. It doesn't look so from the drawings, but there may be | two fillers under the same cap?

No, just one. Unmistakeable. And before anyone pipes in "Are you sure?", yes, I do know how to count to two.

| The next thing (hope you aren't going anywhere for a while...) would be to | disassemble the dash and verify what I think. It's not as hard as it | looks, and this section (The "REAL" owner's manual: | |

| | describes how to take the dash apart without guesswork. I would dig in and | find out exactly what's going on.

I'll try this when the weather cools down in a few months. I start sweating buckets after about five minutes outdoors when the temp is above 70.

| Also, if the fluid is black and brackish, it may serve you well to bleed | both the brakes and the clutch systems and get that old fluid out of | there. That may (if you're lucky) be the extent of your problem.

The fluid is perfectly clear. I topped it off and then was able to shift easily, but the clutch is still too soft.

| Here's some more: | |

| | Wow....this is a stumper. Have another look and tell us what you see. I am | afraid you're going to have to remove the dash to get a definitive answer...

I'd rather just let the grass grow until it cools down. Meanwhile I'll drive as little as possible.

Reply to
Pat