Car care application to aid consumer-friendliness

Toyota really should give out some simple-to-use car care software to every car buyer. It would help regular folks a lot in reminding us oil change and maintenance service dates.

This is a great idea to set Toyota apart from and ahead of its competitors.

My 2 cents for Toyota's upcoming multi-billion profit.

Reply to
Dandelion

The manual that comes with the car is in nice easy to read print. the maintenance light comes on after 5,ooo miles to remind you to bring it in for maintenance. They have a website and phone numbers for most anything you could want. Some of you people really make me laugh.

Reply to
steve-o

Plus if you have your maintenance done at the dealer, most send out reminders in the mail....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I like the idea although I can't see the manufacturer putting it out - maybe Chiltons or some other auto documentation company. A lot of us that like to work on cars buy shop manuals, Haynes, CDs and so on as well as cruise car Websites. Maybe a simple browser based how-to would be a good idea. Take it one step further and produce a cheapo display that would run off of your car battery and you could just follow the instructions as you changed the oil or checked the timing or whatever. jor

Reply to
jor

The biggest drawback to a browser-based how-to is that unless you print the pages, you have to bring your computer or laptop out to the vehicle or run back inside to refer to for specifications. You can access on-line access Toyota factory service manuals in PDF format for $10/day. They are comprehensive and cover simple as well as complex tasks. They include a good descriptions of how most systems work although they do not include explanations of basic automotive principles, like the 4 cycles of a 4-cycle engine or the relationship of a camshaft to a crankshaft because they assume that a professional technician would already understand that stuff.

BTW, checking timing on a modern coil-over spark plug system is kind of a moot point because there is no adjustment to timing.

Reply to
Ray O