Changing Clock spring

I have a 1999 toyota corolla. The airbag light is on and the horn won't work. I got the car checked and was told that I need a new clock spring(something in the steering column). The part cost around $200 and toyota would charge $150 more to install it. Does anyone know if it is fairly easy to install this part. Does anyone have the steps to change this spring. Please advise. Thank you.

Reply to
Hiren.Parekhm

I agree with qslm. If you do not follow all of the steps in the correct order, you could deploy the airbag, which is even more expensive to replace than the clockspring, and as qslm noted, if it is put on incorrectly, you can snap the wires and need another $200 part.

Reply to
Ray O

FYI, the clockspring cable is a multiple conductor flat cable that goes between the rotating upper steering column / steering wheel and the stationary outer steering column.

They call it a clockspring because it's wound around inside the column just like a spring, and as you turn the steering wheel it gets tighter and looser. If they install it too loose it will snarl, and too tight it snaps, so you want to get it in there just right.

And no, they can't use a slip-ring and brush assembly like with the old horn buttons, because those can go intermittent and fail. Fine for the horn, not a huge problem if it fails - not so good if you are in mid-collision and really need the airbag to go off within the next few milliseconds...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman