Sienna Tires worn out completely in < 3 yrs and < 27K miles

I have a Toyota Sienna 2004 model, which I bought in 2004. The tires were rotated at 15K miles during a maintenance service about a year
ago. Now, all 4 tires are completely worn out especially the edges after a total mileage of < 27K miles in less than 3 years. The mileage is about 75% city miles (35-50 mph). Is it normal to have tires worn out so early?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yeap. Toyota and the other automakers rarely put top-of-the-line tires on their vehicles.
Jeff

What would be a good tire. My Sienna 04 is going to need tires soon. I want good ride, I don't want to feel every crack in the road.
--

carpetbagger: a person perceived as an unscrupulous opportunist

That's always going to be up for debate. We ended up buying 70,000 mile BF Goodrich Touring T/A tires at Sam's Club. Road hazard/lifetime rotate and balance/mounting.....$309 out the door. Nobody came close to that price for such a quality tire plus all the perks. They ride very well.
Never buy 'stone' tires of any kind.

Bridgestone, firestone no good, yea I never considered them anyway.
Cheers

--

carpetbagger: a person perceived as an unscrupulous opportunist

Ride is good , price is right. I bought four Michelins at Sams a few years back and I think I paid a little over $400 for the set. Good tires, but they might have been a little stiff. I want to choose my tires for ride carefully because I don't want to muck up the nice ride of the Sienna.
Sams is a good place to buy tires.
--

carpetbagger: a person perceived as an unscrupulous opportunist

"dbu" ...

I do this with my 98 Sienna (190K miles) and have been happy with them. I put on the Michelin X Radial (bought at BJ's) and run it a bit harder than the door calls for, as I do with all my tires. They wear evenly and I get maybe 60-80K of hard driving (not easy in the corners and often overloaded). I have not found a need to rotate them - I put the new ones on the front. I like how they handle - much much better than the Firestone crap that it came with originally - but I have never had a different tire on it so have little basis for comparison to a different tire on this vehicle. I also use the LT version on my Jeep. Tomes
dbu, 7/23/2007,2:47:03 PM, wrote:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID +TRZ&vehicleSearch=true&partnum5TR6TRZ&fromCompare1=yes&place&spee d_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&s peed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minSpeedRating=S
or
http://tinyurl.com/27pwox

Nice chart. I'll save it for future ref.
--

carpetbagger: a person perceived as an unscrupulous opportunist

dbu, 7/23/2007,7:39:46 PM, wrote:

Don't just stop there. Do a search for yourself and check the other tires available for your vehicle. A lesser model than that Yokohama is what I bought for my 2000 Sienna.

Will do and thanks again M.
d.
--

carpetbagger: a person perceived as an unscrupulous opportunist

go to tirerack.com and check out their reviews for a tire that suits your preferences.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Don't any of you people ever hear of Consumer's Reports?

I used to subscribe, I've still got years of collections in my library. However, I've found that some of the recommendations the CU hands out are not always what I find out for myself. It is a good magazine and explains a lot of things that the average consumer would never know about in a product, but I have to take theiir recommendations with a grain of salt, :)
--

carpetbagger: a person perceived as an unscrupulous opportunist

What Jeff said. And, three questions, related both to the worn tires, as well as what you install next:
1) Who was responsible for checking tire inflation?
2) How often?
3) If it was you that checked them, what pressure was your goal for the tires?
Happened to us on our 2003 Sienna. Good old Firestone tires. 30K and ready for the recycle yard.
On Jul 23, 1:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What brand of tires?

Does it come with a separate warranty? My 2000 Sienna came with a 60K warranty from Firestone, and it lasted about 5+ years and 65K. On the other hand if they can show it's not inflated or rotated properly, you are on your own.
"Jeff Strickland" ...

Jeff is spot on here cyang. 30K is about it for originals. Read the other posts about what to put on next. Tomes