cheap used subcompact ?

I have a 2003 6 cyl tundra truck with a camper on it. Given the possibility of high gas prices, I would like to know a good bet for a used subcomact as a 2nd car. I would keep the truck at my mom's and use it for weekend camping trips and drive the smaller car to work etc.

I used to have a tercel which got 35 mpg and figured something like that would be a good bet. Edumnds.com lists a toyota echo 2 door 2001 to be valued at around $ 7,000 but a search on auto trader showed higher prices than that. What other models and makes would be good (honda, nissan etc) ? I'd like to pay $5,000, but perhaps I'll have to spend a bit more. I just want a car that will run for a number of years without much major repair.When I bought my truck, I had to get a new one as there where few used available, hopefully with one of these subcompacts I'd have more options.

I'm affraid if gas goes up to $4/gal all these tiny used rice burners are going to go up in price as well. Even if they are used.

Reply to
surfunbear

You might check Consumer Reports for guidance here and focus on Korean cars, looking for a model with good reliability. They don't hold their value like Toyotas and Hondas, at least not yet, so you could probably get a deal.

You might consider a Mazda or Mitsubishi but I don't think they get quite the same fuel mileage as a Honda or Toyota.

You might look at a Cavalier or Sunbird or Ford Escort or Mercury Tracer. Check CR for reliability guidance but, if you can get one cheap enough in good enough condition, it might work out for you. Again, probably not quite the same fuel economy as a Honda or Toyota.

You might also consider condition; look for one that runs well but has lots of door dings or hail damange. They'll cost less and do you really care what your commuter looks like?

***
Reply to
DH

How about looking at a 2000 Echo?

Reply to
Ray O

They always do. Although the trend has been less than before, because people don't remember the days of $0.35 or even $0.75 gas like I do. So, the prices don't go sky high like they used to, but they DO go up. Tercel is a good car. i sold mine for $1200 so I could buy a Supra that gets half the mileage, but I sure do feel cool burning up all that gas! The Tercel got 45 MPG with an Auto! You should be able to find one for under $2000 now. But then again, the price of gas has gone up about 15% since I sold mine.

Reply to
Hachiroku

All model years of Cavalier/Sunbird/Sunfire should be avoided.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Now THAT's an understatement. :)

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

I did caution the OP to check CR. I do like my Toyotas but it saddens me that a car I once bought from GM - in the first model year! - and drove with just about perfect satisfaction has dropped to "should be avoided."

***
Reply to
DH

It would be nice to say that an American or Canadian made GM could be in my driveway (... again, I owned several full size vans, they ran, but cost a lot to maintain).

Sadly, the Aveo is made in Korea, and other GM models sold here in Canada are also made in Korea by Daewoo.

Oh well..

Reply to
M.R.S.