How to remove Control Arm and Sway Bar

Hi

I have a 1984 VW Rabbit GTI

I need to replace the control arm. Figured I would replace both sides as the bushings are not in that great shape. I found a great package, control arm both bushings, ball joint and all the hardware for only $44 per side.

So my question is, should the front wheels be on car ramps or with the wheels hanging when I unbolt the sway bar. I would think that I would want the wheels loaded, on the floor or the ramps to remove the sway bar, also when I reinstall the swaybar.

I would think that I would want the wheels hanging for removing the control arm.

Am I going in the right direction with my thinking?

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

I don't think you have to have the suspension loaded to remove the items, but both wheels might have to be the same, loaded or unloaded. BUT you should have it loaded when you tighten those suspension components to the correct torque specs.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

dave thanks for the reply

won't the sway bar be under alot more tension if the wheels are hanging? isn't the job of the way bar to keep things as close to their regular position?

Reply to
Tube Audio