Corolla: NUMMI or Canada-made?

Here is a link to a NA Corolla Alternator for a 2006 Corolla. It is a rebuild.

Click on the picture and look at the label upside down....Denso

Scott in Florida

I have a 1993 NUMMI Corolla with 230,000 miles on it, a 95 with 102,000, my sister has another 95 with 150,000 on it, all NUMMI. She also has a 94 JT2 (Japanese) Corolla with over 120,000 miles on it now.

I don't see a problem as long as the oil has been changed properly.

Reply to
n5hsr

On Apr 30, 5:00 pm, High Tech Misfit wrote:

I thought it was the chevy version of the corolla that has the delco stuff.. I forgot what they call it.. Prism, or whatever... My 05 corolla is a NUMMI car, and it doesn't have any delco stuff that I know of. I don't think you could ruin a corolla in only 14 k miles, even if they didn't do anything to it the whole time. Heck, you can tell if it's normal just from the sound of the engine, and driving it, etc.. I'd bet on the oil being changed anyway.. Seems to me they would have to, or have the risk of warranty problems. Anyway, I wouldn't be afraid to buy a NUMMI car.. I did, and it's been ok so far. Mine had 24k on it when I bought it about 3-4 months ago. I've already bumped it up past 30k... I've been to OK in that thing

4 times since I got it. The last, this weekend.. Thats 905 miles round trip each time, so I rack em up pretty fast. I watch the mpg, and it varies, but I got slightly over 40 mpg on the way up there last friday night. And I have the auto, not a manual. But that was at 65 mph. It'll drop slightly at 70-75.. But still in the upper 30's.. The only problems I've had so far, is the evap emission system has been throwing codes.. I've pulled them, but haven't got around to actually checking the system. My gas cap looks fine.. Could be a vapor valve, or even that canistor.. One thing..I might have caused the problem myself... I accidentally overfilled it when a pump nozzle cut off valve didn't cut off. This was the 2nd day I had it.. Gas gushed all out the side, and probably down in the drains.. Supposably, that can cause problems. I just keep driving it for now. It stayed on quite a while, but has been going off on it's own lately. It's off at the moment... Was on when I drove up to OK, but went out when I started up to drive back.. So the problem is not happening all the time. The OBD2 puter won't quit flashing the light, unless the problem resolves.. I'm hoping it will all dry out, and quit acting up, if that was indeed the problem. The other problem is the dome light has never worked, and it's not getting it's ground from whatever controller... The hot wire is hot, and the door switches work, as the door buzzers go off and on, but no ground to the dome light.. Mine has the "auto" dome light system, and I guess something is funky with that controller, or the wire harness is unhooked. ?? The trunk light does work. Other than those, it's been pretty good. I can actually sleep in the back of it when I'm out at my property... I fold the back seats down, and can stretch all the way out, if I go crossways from the front seat back, to the trunk lid where my feet are at. I use a foam mattress thing.. It's actually not too bad.. My accord does the same thing, except are not split 60/40 like the corolla back seats.. MK
Reply to
nm5k

93 NUMMI Corollas came with Delco-Reamme Alternators. After Toyota had to replace a number of those alternators that were supposedly electrically identical to the ND alternators used in the Japanese Corolla, they started using ND as the replacement part and started installing ND alternators on the line. Had it, seen it, done it. Got the T-shirt.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

If the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL, A.K.A. the check engine light) is flashing, take the car to a competent technician ASAP before serious damage is done. If the MIL is illuminated but not flashing, the problem is not as time-critical.

Reply to
Ray O

I did. I took it to myself the first day it came on.. :) It's not a critical warning. I've already pulled the codes myself. They are all evap emissions related...No biggie... Just a PIA... Will be a problem if it's not cleared up by the next inspection time though, as the inspection requires a "clean" puter record, and it can't be freshly cleared either.. Has to show some run history... It has no effect on the running of the car or engine. The light is not on right now. So that means the problem is not happening, or if it is, it requires a few more run cycles to reflag.. But, I've already done 600-700 miles, and several cycles since the light went back off sunday afternoon. I'm starting to think the problem is slowly clearing up on it's own.. The canistor might have gotten a bit gas flooded.. The problem with that is particles can break loose and clog vapor valves, etc.. I'm guessing thats about what happened on mine. If it keeps doing it, I'll have to break down and check the system.. Haven't really had time to mess with it lately.. A new canistor is about $200 if I ended up needing one. Supposably, toyota has an extended warranty on the evap emissions systems, due to some lawsuit or whatever, but I'd have to look into it to see if it's true, and applies to corollas.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Thanks. If I get the money together in the next week, I'll likely buy the car in question....if it's still available.

Corollas go fast around here; with gas about to top $3 per gallon, that's likely to escalate.

Regards, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Yes; I won't buy a car without a Carfax report. That does not always show oil changes and routine maintenance, but I figure at 1 year and

14K miles on a Corolla, there can't be _that_ much damage from neglect.

I hope....ERM

Reply to
Eric

Why do you think they are likely to go faster? Perhaps those Corollas, around where you live, would get better fuel mileage if they would just drive slower LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I have noticed if I drive my 2002 Corolla over 80MPH, my mileage goes down the tube and it consumes oil more than is normal. If I keep it under 80, I seem to maintain my MPG.

Reply to
mrsteveo

Nor will it show the following, among others:

1 A vehicle, that was not covered by an insurance policy, that was in a flood.

  1. A vehicle, that was not covered by an insurance policy, that was a collision

  2. I will not disclose the fact that the current 'clean title' was once a 'marked title' in a previous state

  1. A high mileage vehicle on which the mileage was not always recorded properly.

  2. A high mileage vehicle on which the mileage was reduced between the times that it was recorded, but not lower than the last recorded mileage.

  1. A vehicle that was reconstructed, by placing the front end from one hit it the rear, onto one that was hit in the front and only the one hit in the rear was salvaged. ETC. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter