Cost range for a tune up?

All: What is the cost range for a tune up of a 1998 Toyota Avalon? Thank you.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Lee

Depends on what's included and where you live in the country.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

About $160. Get the parts from Champion Toyota in Texas (they UPS your order...) and grab the wrenches!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The concept of a tune-up is obsolete. In the old days, a tune-up consisted of cleaning carburetor, replacing points and condenser, checking and sometimes replacing the distributor cap, replacing plugs, setting the timing, adjusting the carb, etc. This had to be done about every 15K miles up until about the 1980's.

These days with electronic ignitions and fuel-injection, you typically only need to replace the plugs. I believe the plugs should be changed every 60K miles on a 98 Avalon.

There are other maintenance items to be done at certain intervals, such as drain/refill transmission fluid, drain/refill radiator, change oil/filter, replace air filter, etc, but these may not be considered to be part of a tune-up. Check your owners manual for the correct service interval for these items. You are usually better off if you ask for specific quotes on these items individually since package service deals typically include other stuff you may not need.

Reply to
Mark A

Mark's right. Today's tune-up is basically changing the plugs, clean the throttle body, check the timing with a light and check the plug wires' resistance. I just buy NGK iridium plugs. About $7-8 each at the local NAPA I think. Good stuff.

Reply to
johngdole