Doing some research...seatbelt interlock.

You are correct - air bags are not enough and are not intended to be enough. That is why they are called SUPPLEMENTAL restraint systems and that is why the warning on the visor that is there continuously tells you to fasten your seat belts.

Your comment that the airbag should have deployed because you suffered an injury is one that many, if not most, people make when they suffer an injury in a situation where the air bag has not deployed. This stems from a misunderstanding or lack of knowledge of how air bags function.

The steering wheel and passenger dashboard airbags are not designed to deploy in every situation.

Several parameters must be met before they will deploy. There are 3 sensors that sense the rate of deceleration, and at least 2 must detect crash conditions. This prevents air bag deployment in non-crash conditions.

The point of impact has to be within a certain range of a head-on collision. If the vehicle is hit from the side or rear, the front air bags will not deploy because the forces are lateral. Side air bags and side curtain air bags are designed for side impacts.

There is a vehicle speed threshold that must be passed before the air bags deploy. Air bags are not designed to deploy in a 5 MPH accident because a properly belted occupant should easily survive an accident at that low speed without airbag deployment, and such a low threshold would cause many false deployments.

Most people do not realize that air bags provide little or no protection without a properly fastened seat belt, and in fact may cause more severe injury or death without seat belts. The seat belts keep the occupant in a position where the air bag's cushion will do some good. Without seat belts, occupants can be ejected from the vehicle, pushed down into the footwell, or pushed over the steering wheel through the windshield.

It sounds like you were fortunate and did not suffer a life-threatening injury.

Reply to
Ray O

The SRS system is designed to deploy in a frontal collision at a specific speed, depending on the number of sensor triggered, and whether or not the saffing senor is engaged by the hydraulic system.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The car manufacturers post warnings about seat belts in the owner's manual an on the visor. The warning on the visor is permanent and is always there. I suspect that people ingore it because it is always there and just becomes a part of the surroundings.

I suspect that a continious buzzer would also just become part of the surroundings. If people cannot be trusted to protect themselves from themselves, then IMO, a morre effective warning would be to mute the audio system and jam all cell phone calls unless the seat belts are fastened ;-)

I understand. It's kind of like waiting 30 seconds to a minute after starting intercourse before putting on a condom. That's too late and dangerous so people need an intercourse detector and continuous buzzer on the condom wrapper to distract them so they won't begin intercourse without the condom.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, lookee there. Judging from the above article written in 1977, Henry Ford The-Second used the promise of installing interlocks to kill off air bags. Then he apparently used his henchman Wyman to kill off interlocks shortly afterwards!

Wyman equals "Boba Fett"?

Reply to
Built_Well

Air bags have been killed off?

Check out Richard Nixon's presidential time line

During the last 3 years of his presidency, Nixon must have been a time manager extraordinaire because it looked like Nixon was fairly busy, with things like the withdrawal from Viet Nam, the Arab oil embargo, Agnew's resignation, looking for a new VP, and of course, Watergate and its aftermath and still have time to work on getting seat belt interlocks installed.

By the way, if you would like to install a continuously operating buzzer or warning chime, you may wish to visit an audio shop and ask them to link one to the warning light in the instrument panel. It is an easy job an would provide the warning you seek.

Reply to
Ray O

Of course, Ford could not keep air bags killed off forever--but he sure tried apparently. The preceding Mother Jones article was written in 1977.

Reply to
Built_Well

I'm sure that Mother Jones writers could teach all these respected investigative journalists, conservative politicians, and automotive engineers and executives many lessons in accurate investigative journalism, unbiased reporting, and automotive engineering. Where do they sign up? Seat belt interlocks and buzzers have to be a good idea if Mother Jones says so.

Reply to
Ray O

Wyman --> I suppose that's pronounced "Why Man?"

"Why, man?"

That's a question I would have asked of Mister Wy-Man.

Why did you sell out your fellow human beings?

Millions severely injured since 1974 because of Mister Why-Man's legislation.

Reply to
Built_Well

Wyman--A name that should live in infamy.

October 27, 1974--a date that will live in infamy.

Everything changed on that day. Millions sentenced to death and injury on the roads for generations to come.

Reply to
Built_Well

Incidentally, "Mother Jones" is a highly respected and journalistically rigorous publication. Go to any public library and you'll find it there, and certainly any university library.

The name comes from a social activist named Jones.

Reply to
Built_Well

Mary Harris (Mother) Jones: c. 1837-1930

"Who was "Mother Jones"? "According to a West Virginia District Attorney named Reese Blizzard, Mother Jones was "the most dangerous woman in America". According to Clarence Darrow, she was "one of the most forceful and picturesque figures of the American labor movement".

Born about 1837, in County Cork, Ireland, her family emigrated to Toronto, Canada, when she was a child. She trained to be a teacher at Toronto Normal School from

1858-1859, and worked briefly as a teacher and as a dressmaker. In 1861, Mary Harris married George Jones, an iron molder and union organizer, in Memphis, Tennessee.

The couple had four children - but all four children, and Mary's husband, died in the yellow fever epidemic of 1867. Mary Jones returned to Chicago, where she worked as a dressmaker until her shop was destroyed in the Chicago fire of 1871.

During the next few years, "Mother" Jones became increasingly active in the union movement. Her life is...."

Reply to
Built_Well

Mother Jones is in heaven.

Louis Wyman is in hell.

[laughter]
Reply to
Built_Well

There's also an article on the MotherJones.com home page called

"The Lie Factory: How Bush Fabricated the Case for War"

I'll tell you this. Dubya is a good liar. I actually believed for a while that *he* believed there were weapons of mass destruction.

As good a liar as Dubya is, he's an even better thief, having stolen two elections with the help of brudda Jeb in Florida, who probably dumped lotsa election ballots in the Gulf of Mexico, so to speak.

Reply to
Built_Well

"Mother" Jones was undoubtedly a fine woman who helped many people improve the quality of their lives. That has nothing to do with the accuracy of a story that is published 47 years after her death.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah..I remember seeing it and attempting to read it. Even when I was Liberal I couldn't take it...just too Off The Shelf for me.

I don't take radicalism in either direction.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hmm, I think I wasn't wearing my belt at the time of the accident, but I'm just assuming that because head hit steering wheel.

However, it's possible I was wearing the belt, and it just didn't work. I really can't recall.

How often to belts fail? Are there certain conditions in which belts are more likely to fail--for example a belt that has a twist or two in it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Built_Well

Reply to
Gord Beaman

After looking at my steering wheel, a body shop worker told me the air bag looked like it was trying to come out because it seemed to him that the air bag's cover was not entirely attached to the steering wheel.

He said it appeared as if the cover had separated from the wheel, but for some reason did not completely separate from the steering wheel.

Car is a '95 Toyota Tercel DX, 4-door automatic

Reply to
Built_Well

Mike, what's this 'saffing senor' (I assume you mean safing sensor?)...what's that all about?..and what hydraulic system?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Do leather-wrapped steering wheels provide substantially more cushion and protection in an accident in which your forehead hits the steering wheel than non-leather-wrapped steering wheels?

Is there something better than leather that you can put on the steering wheel to cushion your head should the air bag not deploy? Do they sell products for this?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Built_Well