Engine turns over and dies. Rats involved, bad mechanic, or just low oil?

Hi

My '95 1.6L Geo Prizm has engine trouble: when I try to start the engine, it turns over, kind of whimpers and dies.

This started in a supermarket parking lot away from my house, so I called AAA. While I was waiting for them, I managed to start the engine, drove a few blocks, and the engine SLOWLY died again and wouldn't start.

I had the car towed to a mechanic, who should inspect it eventually.

A possibly important detail: I had the alternator and some fuses replaced 3 weeks ago by the same shop.

Does this look like I wasn't paying enough attention to the oil level (I think it was low). The engine temperature sensor never showed anything abnormal, so I didn't worry too much.

I spotted a rat inside my car recently though [1].

I'm worried about getting ripped off by the mechanic, as usual - I don't know any that I can trust. So any advice related to that or the likely cause of my car's condition would be appreciated.

Thanks

[1] Funny story actually, happened a couple of weeks ago: I'm at a gas station, having driven about 0.5 from my house. I pop the hood to check the oil (I suspected it might be low), and there is this rat sitting on the engine. I had to actually poke the rat with the oil stick to make it run away. It must have been in shock or something. I didn't notice any chewed wires though.
Reply to
n.torrey.pines

Check the battery and alternator output. The battery may have failed or the replacement alternator may have failed prematurely.

Reply to
NickySantoro

OK (I'll make sure they do)

But wouldn't the engine simply not turn over when I tried to start it instead of turning and not starting?

Reply to
n.torrey.pines

You were right, by the way.

The new alternator is getting replaced under warranty.

But the mechanics also told me they wanted the battery replaced because "a so-so battery can damage the alternator", and if I don't replace the battery they are not responsible for any more alternator failures.

Reply to
n.torrey.pines

and don't forget to feed and water your rat too. they are sort of expencive to replace.

Reply to
Fr Corey

If the engine turns over more quickly than usual, the timing belt may be broken. How many miles on the timing belt?

If the car turns over but does not start, check for air, fuel, and spark at the appropriate times and amounts. Any advice you get here will be pure speculation without more information or without looking at the car.

A lack of oil is not the cause of the no-start (although a lack of oil is obviously not good for the engine).

The rat may or may not have caused a problem, depending on which of the 3 things I listed above is missing.

Reply to
Ray O

Was this the mechanic?

Reply to