Help with 1987 Toyota Supra: Replace Timing Belt

Just wondering if I have to remove radiator to get to the timing belt on a 1987 Toyota Supra non-turbo?

How big a job is this?

thanks.

Bob

Reply to
Robert

  1. Not if you're lucky! I can't remember if we did or didn't, but I don't think we did.

One thing: if you ding it with the fan, you're done. Break out the bucks, if you can find one!

  1. It is a fairly intense job, esp if things are rusty on your car. A lot of the bolts we sprayed, heated, cursed, etc. We didn't think we were going to get it done! (And I had a Pro mechanic 'helping' me!)

Find someone that knows what they're doing (sorry...don't know your level of expertise. No offense intended!) and has the TOOLS!

And change the water pump while you're there if it is leaking or you can jiggle it at all!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Protect the radiator with a piece of plywood or cardboard.

Reply to
Ray O

Removing the radiator will mean removing 2 more bolts. Removing the radiator will make the job much easier. Removing the radiator will make the job much faster. Removing the radiator will make more working space.

Na. leave it in. (not)

I spend the whole day doing my Supra. At least 1/2 of the time is cleaning everything spotless though.

If you do the work yourself make sure you have the tools to R&R the harmonic balancer before you start.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

'86.5, '87 & '88 didn't have it...

More of a 'seat of the pants' car than '89=>

Reply to
Hachiroku