Highlander

Can anyone give me any input, opinions, experiences with Highlander?

I'm considering an SUV and Highlander is of interest; however, I don't know that much about it and would appreciate any personal input from anyone who has one.

Thanx in advance.

Reply to
mdrawson

I drove one a couple of years ago. We own a Sienna and the Highlander drove like the Sienna, which is a good thing. They are based on the same platform (Camry) and share the same V6 engine/transmission. For me, it came down to a difference in body style. The Sienna has sliding door and three rows of seats and can seat 7/8. The Highlander has swing out doors and can seat 5. Again, same V6 engine/transmission, same gas mileage, same AWD option, and same complaints . . .

P.S. One new discovery this year. We got a Christmas gift of an "Ionic air filter". If you plug this in near your radio LCD display, your display will look real strange. Anyone want to guess where the cig light plug is located???? So for those with complaints about their radio display, think about any electronic devices near the display before you assume the radio is broke.

Reply to
ma_twain

I drive/ride in one of these, a 2002 every day. No concerns for comfort or costs, it's a great vehicle. We do about 80Km each way every day. I sleep well in it, but I enjoy the drive as much.

I've got a 2001 Highlander and well, eh.. I'm not in love with it. We only got it because my wife worked for Toyota and we got a good deal on an employee lease. Then we bought it. It's nothing special. I'd recommend it, but I feel too indifferent to do so. I drive a 99 Wrangler which I love. Now *that* is a fun vehicle. The Highlander is just... I don't know... there. Works great though... just not enough character for me.

Reply to
jbrianchamberlin

I have a 2003 4-cyl. Everything ok except the odometer, which is the worst I've ever run across - impossible to see in many different lighting situations, especially when wearing sunglasses. Makes it very difficult to follow directions where you have to turn after x miles. I can't fathom how this piece of crap coulda made it into a Toyota...

Reply to
Steve

Agreed. Everything works well, but it's boring. OTOH, maybe it's boring because everything works? :)

Reply to
Steve

Well the same crappy dash display has continued through and including the

2005. So I don't guess they get the point. Also they have made no change in the jet engine blast you get when you roll down a rear window for fresh air and don't also lower a front window. Also the black rear bumper pad your supposed to stand on to reach the roof does not fully cover the rear bumper where you step and thus your colored bumper gets scratched to hell.

They finally fixed the map light situation where the driver gets one light off and the passenger can use their light separately..

They are rated 18City/24 highway but if you get that you are a miracle worker. You will never see 18City/24 highway in my or your life time. Another crappy government EPA estimate based on it running inside a garage on rollers. Both AAA and Consumers Reports are finally getting on EPA's ass to correct their mileage per gallon estimates which are totally off on Toyota but pretty exacting on Nissan's......don't figure.

Gordon

Reply to
Raneman-GR

Except the dash display driving toward the sun when you have to turn on your headlights to display what is inside. Seems they can make a decent dash display for the lowly Corolla but for a more expensive Highlander they blew it and still do not have it "fixed".

Gordon

Reply to
Raneman-GR

Agreed. The odometer in particular is truly an abomination, the worst I've ever seen (or not seen, to be more precise).

Reply to
Steve

My Highlander exceeds those estimates. Then again, it's a 4 cylinder...

Reply to
Steve