I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996, does it sound like solenoid problem?

I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996. The car has a problem. After driving about 20 miles, wnen stopped; car would not start again. I would have to wait for a while. Apparently it is only after it cools off a little bit; I can start it again. I never have a problem early in the morning.

The mechanic so far has changed: Batery. Distribution cap Distributor Rotor Spark plugs I beleive he has changed evrything there is to change, but could not fix it.

The electronic diagnostic test he brought car to was about $80.00. It came back and was told that changing catalityc converter can help. That is about $500.00. The mechanic gave up, and said I should bring it to Toyota dealer for electronic test. Then tell results to mechanic.

Toyota service advised me not to do that, but just bring car to them and they guarantee they will fix it. One thing they do not say is how much it could be.

So, the friend of mine said; "go by "solenoid; it is pretty cheap. Replace the old one. It is pretty easy job to do???"

I beleive this is what he said. I called Toyota parts and service . They say the solenoid for this car is part of starter. Is not sold separate. I called AUTO ZONE parts store. They say "SOLENOID SWITCH is about $60.00 and comes separate.

Any suggestions?

subject: I own Toyota Tacoma LX 1996, does it sound like solenoid problem?

Reply to
Mark

Isn't your Tacoma a truck?

When you say that the car would not start again, do you mean that the engine turns over when you engage the starter but it will not catch or do you mean that the nothing happens when you turn the key?

The Toyota dealer is only going to guarantee that they fix the truck if they are the ones who do the work. It is totally unreasonable to ask them to guarantee someone else's work, especially if your mechanic has done all that work without actually fixing the problem. Hopefully, he has not charged you for any work that does not fix the problem.

Since he has changed so many parts but not the starter, it sounds like the engine will crank but not catch.

My guess is that if you had gone to the Toyota dealer in the first place, your truck would be fixed, and for a lot less money than if you pay for work that doesn't fix the problem.

If the engine cranks but does not start, the solenoid is definitely not the cause of the condition, and your friend should not be dispensing automotive repair advice. For that matter, neither should your mechanic.

The Toyota dealer would likely check fuel pressure when the condition manifests itself and then check the condition and operation of the fuel pressure regulator.

Reply to
Ray O

Please tell us what happens when it won't start, does it turn over and over but fails to start, or does it do nothing at all?

Your truck is OBD II compliant since it was built in 1996 or after. This means that you can go to AutoZone and they will let you check out the Code Reader, much like checking a book out at the library, to read the codes and reset them. There is no need to pay anybody 80 bucks to pull codes and reset them. For $80, you can buy the diagnostic tool and read them yourself, and all of your neighbors too that have a '96 or newer car or truck. There is a data port along the bottom edge of the dash board in the vicinity of where your left leg rests while driving, simply plug the diagnostic tool into the port and write down the codes then reset them. Obviously, some codes will demand service activity before the code can be reset.

Reply to
J Strickland

Fix whatever the codes tell you to fix. I don't think you will be getting any codes that will fix your problem, but there is nothing worng with pulling them and clearing them out.

I usually pull them once and write them down, then see if any of them repeat. The Check Engine light should be coming on if any codes are stored. You did not report any Check lights, therefore I don't think you will get any codes.

There is a Reset button on the code reader. Yes, there is a Reset on the $80 tool. I hope you noticed that you can use the $80 tool for free from places like AutoZone.

Yes, you might have to replace some parts. The code reader is pretty good about telling you which parts you need.

The codes have a hiarchy, and there are often general codes that are followed by specific codes. If you fix one thing, you can turn off several codes that are related.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Ray O

Auto Zone! Great place to get a radiator cap that blows the top of your radiator off. Auto Zone! Great place to get wheel bearing grease seals that the oem ones smash without hurting the oem seals. Auto Zone! Great place to get their best brake pads and have one fall off! It was just their (close enough) specs and the oem pads I replaced them with worked fine.

grrrr grrrr grrrr

Reply to
Danny Greaves

Thanks a lot for the help.

I am sorry, after carefully reading the answers, I just realized, that I have missed 2 very important details:

  1. The Check Engine light is now always on. It sounds crazy, but this is the explanation. It started to be always on after the next to the last time I have brought car to my mechanic for repairs. Mechanic has told me that there is no problem with engine, it is just some kind of sensor, and the reason for that is because it is in electronics and he does not know electronics, but the engine is OK, and I shoiuld not worry. The bill from him shows following lines:

MANIFOLD EXOST REPL1 MANIFOLD GASKET REPL1 MANIFOLD GASKET O-RING REPL 2 OIL and FILTER CHANGE

So. my "CHECK ENGINE" light is always on. Sorry I have missed this detail.

  1. STARTER. First time I have posted, I have missed to mention that he did change change the starter. I do not know if the starter he has changed had SOLENOID also or not. Most probably---> yes; Because he say so, and also when I have called several AUTO ZONE stores yesterday, they all have said that SOLENOID SWITCH comes with STARTER. When you buy starter SOLENOID SWITCH is already there. Even you can buy SOLENOID SWITCH separately.
Reply to
Mark

None of the work you listed has anything to do with resolving a hard start condition.

By now, every automotive professional should have an OBD II code scanner as a basic tool. If your mechanic does not even have one, you should seriously consider looking for someone who is willing ot invest in the tools necessary to properly diagnose a modern vehicle.

If your check engine light is on, you will have a code stored in the memory and borrowing an OBD II code scanner will tell you what needs to be checked.

The starter and solenoid have nothing to do with the hard start condition you are experiencing. If one or both were changed in hopes of curing the condition, your money was wasted.

Go to an auto parts store and borrow a code scanner and report back.

Reply to
Ray O

The Starter Solenoid's job is to feed the input from the starter motor to the engine itself. If the engine turns over, the solenoid isn't the problem. You do not need a starter solenoid. (Well, you might, but you haven't described the symptoms yet.)

The Check light is a more telling reason as to why the engine won't run. You absolutely must pull the codes before you can move forward.

You also need to get a new mechanic.

Reply to
J Strickland

I am sorry, I have goofed again. But I have found one more mistake when presenting details here. This is a bad one, and is just a one more good proof that I know nothing about the cars. So, anyway, when answering:

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Ray O

Now I'm confused. You said earlier that the engine turns over but will not start, now you are saying the engine does not turn over?

Reply to
J Strickland

Reply to
J Strickland

Thanks a lot. Sorry, for mistakes on my part, but this is what it is .. I know nothing about cars. Also, I am not native English speaker, so probably this also contributed to my bad goof.

But, this is what I was looking for an advice. How do I find a good mechanic in my area? Any idea?

Toyota , I know already I do not want to go to them. I had a lousy experience with them. They were charging me for the things they did not fix. 5-6 years ago, it was worth to pay extra money and have a good service. Last 3-4 years I have found that not only they charge for nothing, but also do not fix things. I really do not mind to pay more money, because I want to fix car, so I can use it for next couple of years. It is generally good car. So, even if it cost me a $1000.00-$1500.00 I will go for it, if it will give me car for next 2 years to use. It is OK with me.

So, given that and what I ahve posted before----> any ideas?

Reply to
Mark

Mark,

What area are you in? Maybe some participants in this forum have recommendations for a good place to have the truck serviced.

By the way, it should not cost $1,000 to have the truck repaired. I would be surprised if it cost more than $400.

Reply to
Ray O