I think I'll pass on buying a Chinese car...

Hachiroku

The not-so-Brilliance BS6

And let's not forget the Jiangling Landwind X6

Medic!

Reply to
kaboom

I don't know what the impact speed was, but having the door open and the A-pillar, roof, and floor buckle like that is not a good thing!

Reply to
Ray O

Given enough time, and we'll likely ALL be buying Chinese cars whether we want 'em or not. Walk through a Target or Wal*Mart, and you will hardly see any goods that aren't Chinese. In Target the other day, in the garden section there was a selection of three hedge clippers, one was $10, one was $12.75, and a fancy one was $17.95, and guess what....they were ALL made in China. Even a Panasonic microwave over....(with that good old Japanese name) was yep, made in China.

Reply to
mack

Yup and the quality, in many cases, is improving, just like what happened in Japan. Initially junk, then quality now, e.g Toyota. It's not all bleak--many of the Chinese companies are partially owned by western interests and/or buy parts/supplies from western sources--the question remains..WHY does Japan get away with all its restrictions on imports?

Reply to
sharx35

I'd feel safer in a $200 Adobe ("The car made from clay!").

Just because Chinese companies add poison to pet food and toothpaste doesn't mean that they don't care about quality. :(

I've read that the situation with Chinese quality is so bad that some foreign companies got together and hired CSA (Canadian equivalent of UL) to station inspectors at Chinese ports to make sure that safety certified products really did meet the safety standards. And at least one company had some of its American employees live in its China factories to guard against lower poor quality parts being subsituted for the ones originally specified.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Yeah, the position of the driver's door and that nice RIP in the floor were what got me...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The more important question is "Why don't we start boycotting the western industries which outsource all their manufacturing to China, and proceed to close their plants in the west"? Much as I like the idea of people raising their living standards anywhere on the planet, I think this wholesale move to locate most or all manufacturing in China will come back and bite us in the butt, and soon. Try buying American goods anywhere. You'll find that the only stuff we make now is extremely low tech items like push pins and staples, and all the stuff that has to be operated with electricity is not made here any more. I'm in the market for a microwave oven, but every one I've seen lately is either from China, Korea or Malaysia. (One even was labelled "Made in PRC", trying to hide the fact that it came from the People's Republic of China.)

Reply to
mack

Yep, America is loosing jobs, well not only America, I think even if you go to Canada or Mexico, most shops would sell products made in China. Looking on the bright side, living conditions in the US would still be better than China.

Reply to
EdV

When I was VERY young, and a Canadian nationalist, I went out of my way to buy Canadian. However, after decades of being screwed over by a series of Canadian governments, I say, "Fuck it", I'll buy what's cheapest for me and let the chips fall where they may. Boundaries are becoming so much bullshit....we need a ONE world government to end all this crap.

Reply to
sharx35

I was thinking about this the other day. Look inside your computer and see where a lot of the components are coming from. They are getting the technology, and will "bury" us as Nikita threatened to do.

Also, consider that there are a lot of very bright Chinese, and Reverse Engineering will not be too hard for them.

It not only will bite us in the butt, but it's scary to boot...

Reply to
Hachiroku

If you will recall, the Clinton administration made China a favored trading partner and removed all restrictions on imports to America, apparently in return for the large amount of money that China gave the party to help finance his re-election. However, I believe that China still has some restrictions on what we can export to them.

Of course, you all know that the Buick Century is made in China.

About two years ago I spent a month traveling all over China and rode in a very well built coach (bus). Discovered that the coach was built in China, in partnership with a well known Korean car company - partly owned by an American company. Good luck!

We saw a lot of different cars that appeared to look like some of the American brands, but with different names on them. We couldn't find out where or who made many of them, but suspect that they were Chinese "knock offs".

One last comment. While in Shanghai, we were told that Shanghai has built, in the last 15 years, over 1400 skyscrapers over 40 stories high! They can build anything.

Wow. We are in trouble. For the economist out there, you will recall that the great Adam Smith defined in his classic "The Wealth of Nations", the method by which National wealth is generated in a capitalist country. Only one way to generate wealth. "You take a raw material, with a given value, and modify it so that it has a higher value. the process is called manufacturing." All other processes (lawyers, doctors, politicians, clerks, salesmen, etc.) do not create National wealth. They simply move money around.

A professor once told a friend of mine, while working on a Masters degree, "the only way WE can raise the standard of living in another country is to lower our standards. Interesting?

Graybeard

We should worry more when they start teaching the english subject in Chinese Elementary

Reply to
EdV

And teach it better than it was taught to you. :)

Reply to
MaceFace