Inside Fan/Blower not working

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a problem I'm having with my 1990 Toyota Sera.

A few days ago whilst driving along in the nice sunshine, the fan blowing outside air decided to stop. I'm pretty sure it stopped and started before finally giving up the ghost.

I've taken the fan out and put a current accross it and it spins round fine.

I've checked all the fuses (the writing is in Japanese so no idea which is which) but they all look fine.

When you turn the switch on & off you can hear the relay clicking.

There was a relay for the A/C under the bonnet that was exactly the same as the fan one, so I swapped them over and still no joy.

Now here's the curious thing, the A/C light on the dashboard switch used to come on. It wouldnt blow out cold air as it needs re-gasing but the light would still come on. Since the blower stopped the light doesnt come on any more.

Has anyone had any similar problem (with any car)? If so did you manage to fix it?

Thanks for your help

Steggy

Reply to
steggy

Right, the AC is wired to the blower, bad blower, no AC.

If this is like any Toyota, there is a resistor, right on the blower, which is the first thing that fails. Take out this item and u will see that it's now open. Replace.

Reply to
bobb

As some else suggested, check the blower resistor pack. As far as the reason the A/C light does not come on, the A/C switch must be engaged and the blower must be working for the A/C to work.

Reply to
Ray O

Anyone have any idea where the resistor pack might be located? And will I need to take off the whole dashboard to get at it?

Thanks for your help guys

Reply to
steggy

The fan resistor pack is usually located in or near the fan housing under the passenger side of the dash.

Reply to
Ray O

Man I read your original post, but overlooked the model name. You have one of those??!!

For anybody wondering, here's a decent page:

it's in Japanese..

Send it to me and I will fix it for you! (just don't be TOO surprised when you get an '83 Tercel 4WD wagon back in return...)

Can you expound a little on what it has? It kind of looks like a Paseo (use Google to look up the cars; I know the Tercel was called something else elsewhere, and I THINK the Paseo was called the Cynos elsewhere? Hey, I was actually correct!)

If it was built like other Toyotas of the period, the blower motor will NOT be a joy to remove! It will be located on the passenger's side, up under the bottom of the dash. There is JUST (barely) enough room to remove it without ripping out the dash,m which actually may be easier! Three bolts secure it to it's housing, the third one is always a bitch! Once you get the bolts out, you have to slide the blower motor and 'squirrel cage' out. The resistor pack will probably be inside, next to the squirrel cage. It will look like three springs on a piece of circuit card. You can get one from your Toyota dealer, or go junkyard diving and get the whole assembly for less (look for a low mileage car, they tend to go about

100,000 miles. You may also find that one from a Tercel or Cynos/Paseo fits, too.)

Good luck! I hope you're a patient person!

Oh, BTW, on a very very few models (like my 1985 Celica) the resistor pack is located at the fan switch itself, but this is VERY rare.

Reply to
hachiroku

If you want more info on the Sera I tend to look at

you should be able to find all theinformation you want.>From what I've read the Sera was only made in Japan, and the was only16,000 made in total. The other day I did manage to get the blower motor out to see if it was that, that didnt work. But it was working fine so I put it back, looks like I'll have to try and wrestle it out again and see what I can find.

Thanks for your help.

Steg

Reply to
steggy

Fixed :-D

There was a circuit breaker right next to the relay, well it said "breaker" on it. Couldnt managed to open it up and push it back down and it worked.

Thanks for your help again guys.

Steg

Reply to
steggy

Does this mean you WON'T be sending the car my way? :(

Reply to
hachiroku

AHA! Basically a Tercel/Paseo/Cynos! What I thought.

I would try to shove a 4A-GE in there (128-160HP) just for kicks!

Reply to
hachiroku

Lol I'm affraid not, sorry, but I love my Sera :-D

Reply to
steggy