Intermittent Oil Leak - '94 Corolla Gli 1.6 Petrol

Hi All - wonder if anyone can help -

Got an old '94 corolla GLi 1.6 petrol and have noticed recently small oil puddle under the front of the car sometimes. It seems to be intermittent as in I've only seen it twice in about 2 weeks. Its just had a service and MOT and I have checked the oil level and seems to be fine - Sorry about the noobish question but I'm a new driver :)

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
leefitzsimmons

EdV

I wonder if a little oil dripped someplace during the service and that's the oil you see.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks Jeff / Ed ! I thought that also so I took it back to the garage and they have since discovered that the rear crankshaft seal is the culprit ! Thanks for all your help :) Lee

Reply to
leefitzsimmons

If that's all it is, and it's only a small leak, don't worry about running out to fix it right this moment - it will cost you big to stop a small leak. Just keep a bit closer eye on the oil level, and watch the morning puddle doesn't get bigger.

This is something you do the next time you have to change the clutch or have an automatic transmission rebuilt, because they'll have it all apart right where you need to fix. At that point the rear main seal will be another $50 in labor time and maybe $10 for the seal.

Just carry around a little metal drip pan and a small plastic jar with a few pounds/kilos of "Oil Absorbent" (bentonite clay-based cat box litter), and know where you need to position the pan to catch the drip. In case you have to park on someone's nice concrete or brick driveway (Like at Your Boss' House) that way you don't leave an "Indelible impression"...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman