Rebuild/repair starter

Hello,

I have a 96 Corolla that appears to have a starter motor that is failing. When the engine is cold and I turn the ignition key I hear the starter solenoid engage (loud click) and have to turn the key about 3-4 times before the starter will start the engine. My question is, can I repair the starter easily myself (clean the contacts?), or would I be better off replacing it with a remanufactured/rebuilt motor? The car has about 110K miles and has the original starter.

Also, I noticed that there is quite a difference in price between the rebuilt starters from AutoZone and NAPA (NAPA ~ $60 more), any suggestions about which store I should by it from? Thanks.

rk

Reply to
rekuehn

Check with dealer, if they sell starter repair kit which has the contacts. I've seen other folks selling contacts for the starter. Should be around $10 for the contacts. You may need to take the old one out and match it with the aftermarket types. You might be able to fix starter if the problem is the contact and nothing else is worn or broken. The brushes might also be worn, check with dealer, if this is also available. Suggest take apart and clean/relube the moving parts. Try some of the online dealers for Toyota OEM rebuilt/reman starters. Also take starter into Autozone, etc and have them check the starter.

Reply to
jjjsan