jiffy lube scam

Welcome back, John!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

If this was McDonalds, they'd be firing some people for lack of consistency. Every McDonalds must be the same. :-)

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

I think they just haven't realized that the Internet has changed some things. Before the net, that would have been a local news item and maybe a dozen stores would have been affected. It wouldn't have made the national news and they would just have continued ripping people off. (I'd bet they've been doing this for decades and it's never become a national scandal.)

The Internet tends to spread things like this around a bit more. The distribution of news has really changed a lot. Suddenly there's a chance that a large part of Jiffy Lube's market may see that video. I know I passed that link around to a lot of people.

Maybe Jiffy Lube will actually learn their lesson?

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Thank you for the suggestion :-) but it looks like Xnews is made for the Microsoft operating systems.

I guess I could still run Xnews under Linux using the quasi-"emulator" WINE, but I prefer using a REAL operating system like Linux to using a "real" newsreader :-P

And really Pan, today, is a really, *really* good newsreader and, of course, Microsoft can't compare to how good Linux is--and how good Unix BSDs are.

Do you use Linux at all?

You're not strictly Microsoft, are you? I hope not because Linux is so good. If you try it, I'll bet you'll really like it.

Thanks again, though. When I have no choice but to use Microsoft, I will use Xnews.

Reply to
Built_Well

Oh, I forgot to mention that the link wasn't broken by the Pan newsreader, but by Google groups.

Reply to
Built_Well

Built_Well wrote in news:44f474a0$0$8922 $ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

Yep.

Used it as my desktop for a couple of years before I started working from home. At that point I switched to Windows on account of all the apps I have to run.

I do. My gateway/router is an ancient Alphaserver 800 running RedHat with the 2.2.22 kernel (yeah, that's old too). Setting that up was a treat. Half the stuff on the CD was broken, so it had to be recompiled from source.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Built_Well wrote in news:44f47522$0$8922 $ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

Ah, so GG is inserting carriage returns unbidden. Bad Google.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Hmm, now that I look at this more closely, maybe it's not Google Groups that's breaking the link, but BGM's newsreader XanaNews/1.18.1.3 ?? The link's broken in Pan, the Firefox web browser trained on Google Groups, and even lynx at GG.

XanaNews strikes again??

Reply to
Built_Well

Did it break where I reposted it? If not, it may be the sending software, not the reader.

jim menning

Reply to
jim menning

Okay, okay. It's me. Well, it's a combination of me and you. It has to do with the line break settings in my Compose options and your Read options. Some people see it fine and some don't. I usually post a TinyURL link also but in this case didn't. Anyway, you guys ought to be smart enough to realize the link had been cut off and ended up cutting and pasting into browser address field.

Reply to
badgolferman

If it is SO good, why does it only have less than HALF OF ONE PERCENT of the desktop market? Those with lives, i.e. OTHER stuff to do other than constantly having to tweek their Linux installations, seem to NOT prefer Linux.

Reply to
sharx35

Ah, another Linux supremacist. I just can't get enough of you guys. But the fact of the matter is, you failed the simple test. Here's your sign. ;)

Reply to
Fishface

Flatfish! Are you going to troll this newsgroup now? What's with the new nym? Are you just trying to escape from people's killfiles again?

Everyone knows that you work for Microsoft in the disinformation dept.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Yep, thems good eatin'. So?

Are you going to troll this newsgroup now?

So now I'm a fisherman?!

What we have here is a case of mistaken identity. Or a failure to communicate.

I wish they would send me a paycheck now and then. Unfortunately, I seem to be paying them. And I am hardly an advocate for Microsoft. I've got no beef with Linux, only with evangelistic people.

Reply to
Fishface

"sharx35" wrote in news:NSaJg.23151$tP4.13811@clgrps12:

For the same reason manual transmissions have less than ten percent of the new-car sales market: they're a lot of work!

Linux is a hobby, just like owning and driving an old car.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Nah, you're just a sock puppet.

*plonk*
Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Linux doesn't necessarily need a lot of tweaking like the OP says, and it also need not be just a hobby.

I have some Linux servers here that are anything but "hobbyist" boxes. They do an awful lot of work, and save an awful lot of money versus some other OSes. (4 dual-core Opterons and 32 GB of RAM per box - not your average hobbyist's computer.)

There there is Oracle RAC. _Definitely_ not something that you do just as a hobby.

SuSE or Ubuntu (or a few other distros) are quite good enough to be used by almost anyone on the desktop. That's not "hobby" usage. (Although I guess you could argue that it's replacing a toy OS - Windows.)

Embedded Linux runs on all kinds of devices, and this is not "hobby" usage either. In fact, your broadband connection may depend on a device running Linux.

I can come up with plenty of other examples, but the point is that, while Linux is great for the hobbyist, it is capable of far more than just that.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

I'm afraid I had to look that one up.

haven't done that. I couldn't be bothered. You should read this about Linux advocacy:
you heard the expression, "With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Pity, this has fallen upon deaf ears. Maybe someone will quote it.

It doesn't matter to me what you drive, but how you drive it. You have clearly demonstrated your skills.

Reply to
Fishface

I don't work for an I.T. department so some of what I'm about to say about the Operating Systems may not be entirely accurate but it'll be close.

I just use Linux because it simply works better than Microsoft. For example, have you ever tried keeping 3 or 4 dozen tabs open simultaneously in a web browser like Firefox? Works fine in Linux, but when I fire up the Windows 2000 Pro partition, I wind up having to kill the Firefox process long before 3 dozen tabs. It's even

worse trying to keep open lotsa windows using Microsoft's Interent Explorer browser.

People say Microsoft just doesn't handle memory and CPU resources very well or even properly. Linux does.

Plus Microsoft isn't as secure, plus there's lotsa viruses in the Microsft world, plus it's slower than Linux, plus it's so bloated, plus lotsa other stuff.

Closed Source proprietary software just can't compete with Open Source software.

Microsoft's own internal study done 10 or so years ago concluded much the same thing. Microsoft has maybe a few hundred or few thousand employees inside the company working on it's Closed Source /secret/ software code. Open Source software, on the other hand, has millions of people /worldwide/ working on its software--many who are smart enthusiasts who just like to look at this part or that part of the freely available code, and tinker with it to make it better, securer, faster.

Microsoft's own internal study said it can't compete with that. Microsoft software will always be inferior to Open Source software like Linux and FreeBSD. Yahoo uses FreeBSD. They don't use that Microsft junk :-)

And neither do I. But Bill Gate's marketing machine's got so many people fooled. Isn't it amazing that the free OSes have always worked better than the Microsoft OS?

Reply to
Built_Well

Oh, forgot to add: Apple also uses FreeBSD. For those who might not know, Apple's wildly popular OS "Ten" (OS X) operating system is FreeBSD, another open source, totally free OS.

Apple's OS Ten of course adds its own graphical user interface and other stuff, but what runs underneath is FreeBSD. It's kinda funny that the problems OS Ten has experienced has come from Apple's additions, the company's secret Closed Source proprietary code [chuckle]

Reply to
Built_Well