Leave em in or replace....advice please

Just replaced plugs on my 94 pick up w\ 22re engine. As always have done in the past I purchased the plugs from my trusty Toyota dealer. Had done this previously in 2002 but this time after I removed the old plugs realized that the new plugs were different. Checked the depth\etc of the new plug & it matched, so went ahead & installed the new ones & fired up the truck & it ran just fine. Just assumed that they had changed the plug to a newer design. Couple days later was passing by the dealer & drove in & found the same parts guy & asked him when they changed to the new plug & design & he says they hadn't!!! Turns out he had the platinum(iridium) plugs in the wrong slot & had picked them up by mistake. My question now is should I remove the platinums & replace them w\ the correct plug, which by the way, they gave me @ no charge or just leave them alone. Truck is running fine w\ the platinums installed but service manager said he would be afraid that over a long period of time may do some damage cause they are a "hotter" plug than the conventional ones. Advice needed from those of you that know how this may affect my engine would be appreciated. Thanks dc

Reply to
doncee

The automaker specifies certain plugs for a reason, the most important being fit and heat. If you can find out the specifications for heat range for the plugs that are installed in your truck and compare them with the correct plugs and they are the same, then you can leave them in. If you cannot find out the info or you want to be absolutely positively sure that they do not harm your engine, swap the plugs for the correct ones.

Reply to
Ray O