Lube every 6 months - based on what reasoning?

Synthetic oil costs less in the long run. Yes I sell Amsoil, but Mobil 1 is the second best oil.

If you do that math, full synethtic oil costs less.

Using regular is a thing of the past. Changing your oil with a non synthic means your engine is prone to sludge and varnish as the wax and viscosity index improvers break down.

Toyota had a major issue with engines sludging up, something a full syntheic oil doesn't do. Why? Because full synthetic oils flow better, have no wax (wax causes sludge) and are far more shear stable. Full synthic oils have uniform basestocks so they dont "boil" away like non-synthics.

Reply to
Andy

Toyota had a problem because people did not change their oil....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

They why only Toyota? I find your statement hard to belive.

Reply to
Andy

All cars have the problem if you don't change the oil....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Probably because those negligent owners thought Toyotas required no maintenance at all.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Maybe it doesn't apply to otr trucks, since I know of one that went

409,000 miles without an oil change and had no visable wear
Reply to
Andy

Your name would not be Charlene, would it?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Who?

Reply to
Andy

I don't need to hear any more.

*plonk*
Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Yep.

If you change your oil regularly you won't have any problem with "sludge."

It was only a couple of wackos that stirred up all this nonsense about sludge anyway. And they didn't perform regular oil changes.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Yep, I remember seeing sludge scraped off the inside of the valve cover on a slant 6 many years ago because the previous owner hadn't maintained it properly.

Change the oil regularly and there's no problem.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Sure thing, Amsoil sleazebag....

Why don't you crawl under your rock.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Where the hell is Philip...the OTR driver?

I'll email him and invite him back to smoke this ya hoooo...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

We agree on some things!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

No need. He's so wrong I don't even know where to begin criticizing him. :-)

Besides that, I killfiled him and that's right where he belongs.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Its amazing that you resort to name calling when you can't think of anything to say.

Reply to
Andy

Hmm, you haven't pointed out any factual misatkes. The only think I see is name calling. I mean if you want to keep your head stuck in the sand, then I feel very sorry for you.

Reply to
Andy

~> We are only talking about 25 bucks and a half hour of time for an oil ~> change on a vehicle that costs many thousands of dollars. ~>

~> Somehow this does NOT compute....LOL ~>

~>

~> -- ~>

~> Scott in Florida ~ ~It does not compute for me either!

Maybe it helps dealers sell other repairs down the road?

Reply to
Father Guido

Believe me, you really don't want to know...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Over-the-road large trucks have multiple oil filters from the factory. A full-flow paper filter to ensure the big chunks get stopped, and a depth bypass filter with packed cotton wadding to scrub all the sub-micron level dirt and soot out of the oil.

Cars only have one full-flow paper oil filter that gets down into the 15 to 10 micron dirt range, and that's still small boulders as far as the bearing surfaces are concerned.

And the trucks that leave the oil in for long periods also take an oil sample and pay for a laboratory oil analysis every 10,000 miles or so, to see if the oil is okay to leave in. Some of those engines hold

20 to 50 gallons of oil, and a change isn't cheap.

For your car, the cost of an oil analysis is more than one gallon of fresh oil and a filter.

And for {$Deity} sake please do NOT say her name three times or she'll reappear (ala "Beetlejuice"). She was a harpy that insisted that all the engines were defective, even though the vast majority of cars with sludge ruined engines were shown to have never had an oil change since the original sale.

(There are always a few that have strange stuff happen like coolant gets into the oil, and that sludges the oil and wrecks the bottom end. But it's rare.)

Many of those burned by a sludged engine were the second owners of the car - they bought the cars from the dealer off-lease or as "Certified Used", and the first owner or lessee of the car never did any maintenance that the dealer mechanics could ever find.

Facts: If you leave the factory fill motor oil in an engine for

60,000 miles, it turns to pudding. Pudding does not lubricate. Engines need good lubrication, or they die quickly.

This is why many upscale leases now include the maintenance as part of the leasing deal - it's already paid for, so the lessee has no excuse for not bringing the car in for oil changes. The seller gets the car back off lease in decent resale condition, and they can document all the maintenance was done.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman