Lube every 6 months - based on what reasoning?

Your referening of course to by-pass filters, which you can get for cars too, should you want to, which filter down to 1 micron.

Most OTR truck hold 9-17 gallons. 50 gallons of oil would mean a huge oil sump.

I think UAO runs about $20

Reply to
Andy

Are you saying that dealers discourage regular oil changes so that they will get to do expensive engine repairs later?

If so, I don't think that's correct.

I suspect that most dealers would rather have you coming in periodically to have an oil change done. It keeps you thinking of the dealer, and maybe you'll see something you like on the lot while you're passing through. Dealers do everything they can to increase traffic, and those oil change customers are proven to be good sales leads - they've already purchased a car from that dealer.

Expensive engine repairs later on also come with angry customers. Yes, they might make a big chunk of change, but it's going to hurt the brand and the individual dealer to have engines breaking right and left.

I know if I were a car dealer I'd want to do good things for my customers and keep them coming back (and also recommending me to their friends). There's a lot of other dealers out there just waiting to grab my customers, so I'm not going to mistreat my hardwon existing customers.

If what you're saying is that providing oil changes to customers helps to sell other repairs down the road, I agree with that. Getting the customer to come in regularly will make it more likely that they'll turn to the dealer's service department for other repairs; assuming that they have a good experience with those oil changes.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

That's what I would say, an in most cases, oil change places want to sell stuff thats not needed, for which they make a large profit. The dealers aren't quite as bad, but then they generaly charge more that independent repair shops.

Reply to
Andy

Did I tell you about that 750KW standby generator plant at the Verizon Granada Hills Switchroom? Honkin' big Mitsubishi V-16 Quad-Turbo motor, and a honkin' big crankcase to match...

Might not have been 50 gallons, but it definitely was over 20. They kept three drums of oil on site [two full, one open] just in case - Earthquakes Happen.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

We've just got a little baby generator (160 KW) with a John Deere 6. :-) It holds about 24 quarts of oil.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis